No casualties, damage reported in Cebu, Bohol, Negros

AS OF yesterday, there were no reports of casualties or damage to properties in Cebu City and Cebu Province after a 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck last Friday night, according to a report from Office of Civil Defense (OCD) 7.

It was the same in Bohol, Negros Oriental and Negros Occidental, said Nelmar Tongzon, OCD 7’s operation assistant.

“We called every local government unit and different agencies to ask if there were damages in their areas after the earthquake occurred and it was negative,” Tongzon said.

Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama, who went around the city after the earthquake, also said everything was calm, including the water off the coast.

Rama said he was grateful the Cebuanos didn’t react the same way they reacted during the earthquake last February, where thousands panicked because of a tsunami scare.

Command center

The mayor also said last Friday’s quake was an eye-opener, especially for the City Council, which scratched his budget to establish a command center.

“Sad to say that our council didn’t think about what is going to happen and we just wish that nothing will happen from now on and in the days to come,” Rama said.

The command center was among the items proposed by the mayor that the council did not approve when it passed the P5.2-billion operating budget for 2012.

The Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (LDRRMC), though, also included a budget for a command center in its P157.5-million calamity fund for this year, but the council has yet to approve the proposed breakdown of the fund.

LDRRMC Chief Cathy Yso said they will pursue the establishment of a command center, which will be equipped with communication gadgets.

“Amo lang i-comply ang gipangayo nga mga documents sa (We will submit the documents required by the) City Council for the approval of the breakdown of the calamity fund,” Yso said.

She said the command center, which will be set up in Barangay Mambaling, will be the center of communication in the city in case of disasters.

Rama had said President Benigno Aquino III asked him for a list of what the City needed to respond to a disaster.

He said he would follow this up so they can set up a command center as soon as possible.

Last Friday’s quake was considered the strongest to hit the country in the last two decades.

For more local stories, visit www.sunstar.com.ph

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. US Secretary of State John Kerry said Washington will never be deterred by "acts of violence" as the ambassador was rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. In a brief …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl
    Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found the Japanese Navy’s biggest warship at the bottom of the sea in the Philippines, 70 years after US forces sank it. Allen posted a photo on Twitter on Tuesday of the World War II battleship Musashi’s rusty bow, which bore the Japanese empire’s Chrysanthemum seal. The American billionaire, who has also pursued space exploration, said his luxury yacht and exploration ship, the M/Y Octopus, found the Musashi one kilometer (1.6 miles) deep on the …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Ohio mom, boyfriend guilty; child emailed teacher for help

    PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (AP) — A woman and her boyfriend pleaded guilty to raping her young children and were sentenced to prison on Wednesday, a year after one of her daughters emailed a teacher for help and said she and her siblings were being chained to their beds, deprived of food and sexually assaulted. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options