‘No Covid cases’ among students in Cebu City since school started in August

CEBU City schools have not logged any coronavirus disease (Covid-19) cases since the start of the school year last August, said one of its education heads.

Rhea Mar Angtud, the Cebu City Schools Division superintendent, told SunStar Cebu on Saturday, November 5, 2022, that they have not received reports of students testing positive for Covid-19 since August.

Angtud attributed this to the coordinated efforts of teachers, students and parents, among other partners, to formulate well-planned contingency measures to ensure students' health safety in schools.

As of October 17, the Department of Education Central Visayas (DepEd 7) recorded 180,999 students enrolled in public schools and 58,910 students enrolled in private schools in the city.

DepEd 7 Director Salustiano Jimenez earlier said that among the measures they instructed schools to implement were to secure handwashing areas and to make sure alcohol, face masks and other sanitation equipment were available for students.

Jimenez also said children who displayed Covid-like symptoms, such as fever, cough and a cold, were advised not to attend school. Parents or any adult representative could just go to the school if their children were absent for more than a day to ask for activity sheets and modules to ensure they would not be behind in their lessons.

He also reiterated that absences would not require a medical certificate as he trusted parents not to lie about their children’s absences or take advantage of the opportunity.

On Friday, November 4, the Department of Health announced that 3,939 school-aged children nationwide had been infected with Covid-19 from September 1 to November 3.

However, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said all recorded cases were mild infections.