No Marcos, Duterte on Sinulog day

THE two highest government officials in the country will not be able to attend the Sinulog Festival at the South Road Properties on Sunday, January 15, 2023.

Mayor Michael Rama said in a press conference on Friday, January 13, that he sent an invitation to President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. and Vice President Sara Duterte in December but did not receive a confirmation from them.

Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go also refrained from attending the Sinulog due to the bad weather condition.

Some members of the League of Cities of the Philippines (LCP), however, will attend the event after being allowed by Interior Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr. to charge their travel expenses against their public funds.

Rama, who is also LCP president, said the mayors, accompanied by their vice mayors and councilors, from the different local government units in Luzon will observe how the Sinulog festival is being run by the Cebu City Government and how to implement this in their respective localities.

The local officials came from Ligao City and Tabaco City in Albay, Iriga City in Camarines Sur, Victorias City in Negros Occidental, Cabadbaran City in Agusan del Norte, El Salvador City and Gingoog City in Misamis Oriental, Lucena City in Quezon Province, Marawi City in Lanao del Sur, Bayugan City in Agusan del Sur, Baguio City in Benguet, Tagbilaran City in Bohol, Quezon City and Taguig City in Metro Manila and Tandag City Surigao del Sur.

This is so far the first Sinulog activity that has the most number of local government unit (LGU) delegates, as in previous years, only those officials with participating contingents had attended.

Rama led the Cebu City officials in hosting a welcome dinner for the delegates on Thursday, January 12. (PAC, TPT)