No to MRT, LRT fare hike

Manila, Philippines --- Progressive solons refused yesterday to swallow the "bitter pill" of fare hikes for the Metro Rail Transit (MRT) and the Light Rail Transit (LRT), fearing that the government's plan would lead to privatization of the transportation system.

The Partido ng Manggagawa (PM), warned the Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC) to brace itself for "Brazil-like" mass demonstrations should it push through with the planned fare increase for public trains in Metro Manila.

To express their opposition to the planned P25 LRT, MRT fare hikes, Bayan Muna party-list Representatives Neri Colmenares and Carlos Isagani Zarate filed House Resolution No. 111 to oppose the move.

"Before proposing any increases, the high cost of operations and the large amount of debt incurred by the project should first be investigated, specifically on whether taxpayers are actually subsidizing debt incurred by the private consortium that built the MRT," they said.

"There is a need for the government to look into the operational costs of the MRT and LRT lines to check if there might be excessive expenses or mismanagement of funds," they stressed.

While, Malacañang asked the public to bear with the fare adjustment proposed by President Benigno S. Aquino III in his fourth State-of-the-Nation Address (SONA) last Monday, Colmenares and Zarate asked the House Committees on Government Enterprises and Privatization, and on Transportation to "jointly or separately conduct an investigation, in aid of legislation," on the planned fare hikes.

"Ultimately, it is government's responsibility to provide for or subsidize public utilities like that of the MRT and LRT lines. Losses brought about by debt, corruption, and government crises should not be passed on to the public. The government should even increase its subsidy to facilitate the purchase of more trains to accommodate more passengers," they said.

DOTC Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya had earlier assured that there will be public consultation first before the suggested P25 hike in fares will take effect.

Colmenares and Zarate expressed concern that a P10 increase in the MRT and LRT fares "would further increase the daily spending of low-wage earners for transportation, leaving less for food, shelter, education and other expenses," citing that millions of commuters depend on the MRT and LRT lines to get to work or school every day.

"Increasing ticket prices would most likely make commuters opt to take buses or other forms of transportation, translating to more vehicles clogging our major roads and more pollution," the party-list lawmakers said.

According to reports, MRT has 500,000 to 800,000 passengers a day, while LRT 1 and LRT 2 have 500,000 and 250,000 passengers, respectively.

Partido ng Manggagawa national chairman Renato Magtubo said the additional cost may serve as a tipping point for public's tolerance since they will have to bear the fare hike amid the rising prices of other basic commodities and services.

"The fare increases will be a burden on workers, employees, students and the poor who use the MRT and LRT daily. The government must take heed from Brazil where mass protests exploded last month over a similar hike in public transport fares," Magtubo said.

The civil unrest, which erupted in Brazil, last month due to fare hikes in public transport, was among the most violent it recorded in the last decade.

Magtubo also hit the argument of President Aquino's during his fourth SONA, where he justified the reduction of the government subsidies in Metro Manila train fares as an effort to provide equal treatment to commuters in Visayas and Mindanao.

"If that is a correct argument then how come nobody is calling for the abolition of the Philippine General Hospital even though it predominantly caters to the sick in Metro Manila and nearby areas?" Magtubo asked.

"Instead of cutting back on subsidies on the MRT and LRT, the government must provide for public means of transport such as light rails in the key cities of Visayas and Mindanao," he added.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao
    Hijacked Indonesian vessel found in Davao

    An Indonesian cargo vessel that was hijacked a month ago in North Sulawesi, Indonesia has been found stuck in the waters off Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported yesterday. PCG spokesperson Armand Balilo said the PCG- Southeastern Mindanao district was informed on Feb. 23 that the M/T Rehoboth was found aground off Barangay Cabuaya. Four personnel from the local PCG district office were sent to verify the report. The vessel was reportedly hijacked by …

  • 'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait
    'Jihadi John' relatives under watch in Kuwait

    Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday. A number of relatives of Mohammed Emwazi, named as the militant who has beheaded at least five Western hostages, are working in Kuwait and like him hold British citizenship, Al-Qabas newspaper reported. "Security agencies have taken the necessary measures to monitor them round the clock," the paper said, …

  • Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf
    Military steps up offensive vs BIFF, Abu Sayyaf

    Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr. has ordered the sustained campaign against the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) following the successive offensives against the armed groups last week. A total of 24 Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in recent clashes in Sulu last week. The Joint Task Group Sulu has received information that Abu Sayyaf leader Radulan Sahiron was wounded during one of the encounters but this is …

  • Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros
    Militants want US Marines pulled out of Negros

    The militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) is calling for the pullout of US Marines who arrived in Sagay City, Negros Occidental last Wednesday to train Special Action Force (SAF) commandos and members of the allied forces. The SAF commandos and the allied forces will secure the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) ministerial meeting in this city. Bayan-Negros secretary general Christian Tuayon said the US troops might violate the human rights of activists, especially those …

  • Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
    Interview: Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon

    By Matt Siegel CANBERRA (Reuters) - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cannot go on forever, Australia's deputy prime minister said, and discussions are already under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off the hunt within weeks. No trace has been found of the Boeing 777 aircraft, which disappeared a year ago this week carrying 239 passengers and crew, in what has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. The search of a rugged …

  • Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA
    Binay backs house arrest for JPE, GMA

    Vice President Jejomar Binay yesterday supported proposals to put Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and former President now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal- Arroyo under house arrest. “Government prosecutors are opposing house arrest for… Enrile. Binay issued the statement after the 91-year-old Enrile was rushed to the Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia. House arrest for him would be the compassionate thing to do,” he added. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options