No permit, no rally for those protesting Marcos ‘win’

·3 min read

AMID talk of impending nationwide protests to be held Friday, May 13, 2022 by militant groups who support Vice President and presidential candidate Maria Leonor "Leni" Robredo, the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) has said it will strictly implement the no-permit, no-rally policy against would-be rallyists in the city.

The militant groups will reportedly hold a simultaneous protest in several parts of the country Friday to condemn the results of the election that showed presidential candidate Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. leading by millions of votes against Robredo in the May 9 elections.

Partial and unofficial results from the Commission on Elections as of 5:17 p.m. Thursday show Marcos getting 31,104,084 votes versus Robredo’s 14,822,041 votes from 98.35 percent of election returns.

Based on information received by the CCPO, the protesters will walk from Plaza Independencia toward the Commission on Elections (Comelec) Cebu Provincial Office at the Capitol compound where they will air their sentiments.

Lt. Col. Maria Theresa Macatangay, information officer of CCPO, however, said rallyists who cannot present a permit will be allowed to air their sentiments for only five minutes before they are dispersed.

“Yes, kailangan gihapon na kay ordinansa man na (a permit is needed because of an ordinance). They have to secure certain permits diri sa atoang LGU (from the local government unit). If they fail to do that, the police will be constrained to advise them first to disperse,” Macatangay said.

Macatangay said the police will implement maximum tolerance during the rallies, but they also ask militant groups to follow the law and not destroy any government property or hamper the flow of vehicular traffic.

Macatangay was confident that any rallies would be orderly and peaceful, saying rallyists here in Cebu City are not as violent as those in other parts of the country.

The militant groups in Manila had earlier said there was rampant fraud during the election, adding there were also policemen hired to harass the voters.

But this was denied by Macatangay, who said the election in Cebu City was orderly and peaceful, except for two incidents that could not be considered election-related.

One was the death of an elderly man after he cast his vote in Barangay Tinago late Monday afternoon.

The second was the shooting of a village watchman by unknown assailants in Barangay Zapatera on Monday evening. He died the following day in the hospital.

Cebu City Councilor Joel Garganera said the shooting incident was not election-related.

Macatangay said it was not true that the police were used to cheat and harass voters and challenged the accusers to prove their allegations.

"If you think that the PNP (Philippine National Police) is being used to commit fraud, prove it. If you can't prove it, this is purely theory so this should not be given any attention," Macatangay added.

Aside from the militant groups, Robredo's supporters are reportedly joining the rally to express their disappointment and apprehensions over the victory of former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. in the presidential race.

As of this writing, militant groups in Cebu had not yet issued any statement on any supposed rally. (AYB, TPT)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting