No warning issued, survivors claim

Cebu City, Cebu - Five survivors who were invited to the ongoing investigation on the sea collision that killed at least 80 persons in Cebu told investigators that they did not hear any abandon ship warning issued even when MV St. Thomas Aquinas was already listing following its collision with cargo ship, M/V Sulpicio Express Siete.

The Special Board of Marine Inquiry (SMBI), which is looking into the collision involving the two vesels at the Lauis Ledge in Talisay City on August 16, invited the survivors on the second day of the investigation.

They all claimed that they did not hear any announcement to abandon ship and were left in the dark when the ship started listing and eventually sank after it was hit by the cargo vessel. A survivor, Genelyn, whose two-year-old son is still missing, broke into tears when she recounted her ordeal.

She also urged vessel management to keep life jackets under the beds of passengers so that passengers would have easy access to these when similar mishaps happen in the near future.

Meanwhile, two sea marshals who were onboard the M/V Thomas Aquinas gave a different account. They said they both heard the captain issue an order to abandon ship over handheld radio of some security personnel and crewmen of the boat.

The two marshals said it was impossible to make an announcement to abandon ship over the vessel's public address system because the vessel's power conked out seconds after the collision occurred.

Petty Officer 2 Joseph Austria of the Philippine Coast Guard and Richard Pesterios of the Philippine Navy, two of the four sea marshals assigned with the M/V St. Thomas Aquinas, both claimed they heard the vessel's Capt. Reynan Bermejo ordering an abandonment of the ship.

They said, however, that the announcement was only made through handheld radio because the vessel's power was already cut off. The two marshals said they heard three loud banging sounds and then saw the front end of the cargo ship already close to the passenger vessel's rear.

"When I discovered the collision, I immediately went to the life jacket area and started distributing life jackets to the passengers. While helping the passengers, I heard the captain ordering everyone to abandon ship," said Austria..

Pesterios corroborated Austria's statement, adding that he (Pesterios) also heard through the handheld radio of one of the security officers an order to abandon ship even as he was also helping passengers don on life jackets.

The SBMI, headed by Commodore Gilbert Rueras, commander of the Coast Guard's Maritime Safety Services based in Manila, is set to hear the side of the crew members of both vessels even as it also summoned a fourth vessel, fastcraft Oceanjet which was reportedly in the area before the accident happened.

As this developed, Cebu Coast Guard Commander Weniel Azcuna downplayed reports that the search and retrieval operation will be ended today. Forty passengers in the ill-fated M/V Thomas Aquinas remain missing.

"The search and retrieval operation will continue as long as there are still missing passengers," Azcuna said.

Rescue divers failed to retrieve any body from the wreckage of the sunken vessel yesterday, Azcuna said. The death toll stood at 80 with 40 still unaccounted for, he said.

Azcuna assured relatives of those who are still missing that the Coast Guard will continue to search for their loved ones until the rescue team gets a directive to end the task. So far, Azcuna said, the team's instruction is to continue search and retrieval operations.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Philippine troops end offensive they say killed 139 rebels
    Philippine troops end offensive they say killed 139 rebels

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — A monthlong Philippine offensive against hard-line Muslim rebels ended Monday after 139 insurgents were killed, 12 others were captured and bomb-making strongholds were seized by troops, the military chief said. …

  • Developers prepare for new rules and regulations
    Developers prepare for new rules and regulations

    Known as the "Subdivision and Condominium Buyers' Protective Decree," Presidential Decree No. 957 issued two sets of revised implementing rules and regulations (IRRs) earlier in 2015. A bill initiated by former President Ferdinand Marcos in 1976, the decree and its most recent amendments were designed to "protect buyers from fraudulent and unscrupulous subdivision and condominium sellers, operators and developers," according to the explanatory note that accompanied the bill in its senate …

  • ‘Get SAF 44 killers before BBL passage’
    ‘Get SAF 44 killers before BBL passage’

    Lawmakers are demanding the arrest of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) fighters involved in the killing of 44 policemen in Mamasapano before the approval of the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) in Congress. Cagayan de Oro Rep. Rufus Rodriguez, chairman of the 75-member ad hoc committee in the House of Representatives deliberating on the BBL, prodded the Department of Justice (DOJ) to speed up its investigation and file charges against the MILF guerrillas as the Aquino administration …

  • Pinoys dance for Earth Hour
    Pinoys dance for Earth Hour

    The Philippines once again displayed its support Saturday night for the worldwide observance of Earth Hour by hosting a dance party after turning the lights off from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. to save energy and make a statement on various environmental issues. The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) said widespread participation proved anew that no individual action on climate change is too small and that no collective vision is too big with celebrations in over 7,000 hubs in 170 countries. The WWF said …

  • Phl offers Sabah to win Malaysia’s support for UN case vs China
    Phl offers Sabah to win Malaysia’s support for UN case vs China

    The Philippines has offered to downgrade its claim on Sabah in exchange for Malaysia’s support for its case against China before the United Nations. The quid pro quo was contained in a note verbale the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) handed to a representative of the Malaysian embassy last week, a week after the visit of Malaysian Defense Minister Dato  Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein. The note verbale, a copy of which was obtained by VERA Files, referred to the May 6, 2009 joint submission …

  • Maysak to enter Phl Wednesday
    Maysak to enter Phl Wednesday

    A typhoon with international name Maysak is expected to enter the Philippine area of responsibility (PAR) on Wednesday and bring rains over Northern Luzon by weekend, the state weather bureau said yesterday. Aldczar Aurelio, weather forecaster of the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), said the typhoon was 2,810 kilometers east of Mindanao as of 10 a.m. yesterday. “This typhoon is still too far to affect any part of the country,” the weather …

  • Nonviolent disciplining of kids pushed

    Child rights advocates called on senators to pass and strongly endorse a law that will institutionalize positive and nonviolent methods of disciplining children.The Child Rights Network (CRN), Plan International Philippines (PIP), Philippine Legislators’ Committee on Population and Development (PLPCD), and Lihok Pilipinas Foundation led the call for the enactment of the Positive Discipline Bill.Several Quezon City Council members led by Majority Floor Leader Jesus Manuel Suntay, Victor Ferrer …

  • Method to their madness

    [caption id="attachment_256768" align="alignright" width="212"] Illustration by Rod Cañalita[/caption] EMMANUEL PORTUGAL Country Manager for the Philippines, VMware I look after the garden. I’d like to think that I have a green thumb—no plants have died so far! The ones I like now that I planted a few months ago is the Blue Iris. Like the town in the movie, my Blue Iris shows up in the morning and only appears for one day. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options