‘Not guilty’ plea to libel charges

SUNSTAR columnist Pablito “Bobby” Nalzaro entered a plea of “not guilty” to a charge of libel when arraigned before Cebu Regional Trial Court (RTC) Judge Ricky Jones Macabaya of Branch 5 Friday, Jan. 31, 2020.

The arraignment stems from two cases filed by Miguel Osmeña, son of former Cebu City mayor Tomas Osmeña, against Nalzaro over two columns which were published in SunStar Cebu on Sept. 5 and Sept. 12, 2018.

The younger Osmeña considered Nalzaro’s columns “malicious and libelous.”

He had said that he was ridiculed in Nalzaro’s columns where he was accused of being one of the owners of an illegal refilling butane canister business.

Osmeña also filed two counts of cyberlibel against Nalzaro over the same columns carried on the SunStar website but these were dismissed by the court in December last year. What remains are the two libel cases pending at the RTC Branch 5.

After entering his plea, Nalzaro said the cases are part of his job as a broadcaster and he is no longer surprised about it. (JCT / RSR)