MANILA, Philippines — Seven government websites were hacked in the first week of April this year.
The agencies affected by the hacking activity were:
- Taguig City University
- Department of Education – Bacoor, Cavite
- Department of Education – Calamba, Laguna
- Bulacan Provincial Government
- Philippine Carabao Center
- Republic Center Colleges in Angeles City
- Laguna State Polytechnic University
Despite the incident, none of the agencies’ personal information controllers (PICs) reported the problem to the National Privacy Commission (NPC.) PICs are the persons in charge of government agency websites.
The incident prompted the NPC to look into the matter and find out why the PICs failed to immediately alert the commission.
According to NPC, the hackers were able to post on Facebook all pertinent information such as e-mail accounts, password, contact info and addresses of around 2,000 officials in the affected websites.
The agency expressed concern over the incident as such hacking of personal information is likely to result in identity fraud. — Mon Jocson | UNTV News & Rescue