If you ask the National Telecommunications Commission, the country’s top telecommunication firms have improved their services to acceptable levels.
Both Smart Communications Inc. and Globe Telecom Inc. have complied with standards based on tests conducted from April to June, the state regulator said Tuesday.
This is the third time both the telco giants passed the “Quality of Service Benchmarking Tests” since NTC began releasing the results last year.
Smart seemed to have provided better services during the period, however, surpassing Globe’s performance all four service quality indicators.
“Both parties passed the less than-or-equal to 4 percent performance standard of the commission,” NTC’s statement read.
Only 1.26 percent of calls made through the Smart network have not been given access, versus Globe’s 1.46 percent.
Smart also beat Globe in dropped call rate, with only 1.07 percent of ongoing calls involuntarily cut. Globe’s dropped call rate was pegged at 1.4 percent, still below the 2-percent benchmark.
As for average signal strength, Smart transmitted -65.52 decibels per milliwat (dBm) while Globe posted strength of -71.45 dBm, both higher than the -85 dBm standard.
Smart meanwhile posted a score of 0.72 and Globe 0.91 in signal quality, which measures the quality of voice transmission in a range of 0 to 4 where zero means no transmission flaw.
Calls setup time was also shorter using Smart, where parties are alerted about calls in 11.12 seconds. Globe’s takes 12 seconds on the average, still below the 14-second standard.
Globe questioned the results, however, noting that tests done separately by Globe “showed a major difference from the latest NTC test results.”
“This may indicate a need to jointly review the latest NTC results in the interest of transparency,” said Cris Crisostomo, Globe Head of Service Quality, Network Technical Group.
Known as the "Subdivision and Condominium Buyers' Protective Decree," Presidential Decree No. 957 issued two sets of revised implementing rules and regulations (IRRs) earlier in 2015. A bill initiated by former President Ferdinand Marcos in 1976, the decree and its most recent amendments were designed to "protect buyers from fraudulent and unscrupulous subdivision and condominium sellers, operators and developers," according to the explanatory note that accompanied the bill in its senate …