'Odette' leaves 7 dead in Dumanjug, Boljoon

·6 min read

6 dead in Dumanjug

SIX people have been reported dead in the southwestern Cebu town of Dumanjug in relation to the lashing caused by Typhoon Odette (Rai) last Dec. 16.

The town’s public information office (PIO) said four of the six casualties as of 5 p.m. of Dec. 18, 2021 had been hit by house debris. These were Silvestra Famor, 77; Kevin Torres, 12; Dioscoro Opsal, 68; and Natividad Omerez, 87. The other casualties were Angel Patiluna, 12, who was hit by a tree; and Miguel Zapanta, 80, who suffered cardiac arrest.

The PIO also shared photos of the destruction to infrastructure in the town on its Facebook page last Dec. 22. Odette knocked down power lines, causing a province-wide blackout and communication problems.

Last Dec. 22, the Cebu Electric Cooperative (Cebeco) 1 said most of the 18 local government units it covered in southern Cebu had been battered by Odette.

It said then that power had been restored only in parts of the towns of Ginatilan and Samboan, especially the highway, and that it aimed to energize the highway from Boljoon to Oslob on the same day.

Cebeco 1 did not specify when it could restore power to Dumanjug.

However, the National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) reported Saturday that it had restored the feeders connecting customers in Cebeco I on Dec. 24. The NGCP operates the national power transmission facilities. (CTL)

1 dead in Boljoon, 70-80% of crops affected

One person was killed in Boljoon town, and damage to property, infrastructure and agriculture was so vast that a State of Calamity has been declared in the town in the aftermath of Typhoon Odette.

The lone fatality was from Barangay El Pardo, the Municipal Government said on its Facebook page Monday, Dec. 20, 2021.

The initial damage report made by the Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (MDRRMC) on Dec. 19, three days after the storm, showed that all water transmission lines and power utilities were down and telecommunication was not accessible in the southeastern Cebu town.

Landslides had occurred on the following roads—Ylaya (near Dayhag) and Lunop (Cabadiangan).

Also sustaining damage were the Palanas (Pondohan) culvert, Campfranco (Spillway) road and the El Pardo-Nangka access road.

Some 25 to 30 percent of its five mountain barangays suffered “total damage” to property, while 50 to 60 percent of houses in mountain barangays saw partial damage, the MDRRMC said.

Its six coastal barangays suffered less damage with five to 10 percent of the barangays reporting total damage to property and 15 to 20 percent of barangays reporting partial damage.

All of the town’s 11 barangays suffered damage to agriculture, placed by the MDRRMC at 70 to 80 percent of cash crops and high-value crops.

Fifty to 60 percent of coconut trees had been affected while 20 to 30 percent of livestock had been affected.

On Tuesday, Dec. 21, 2021, the Municipal Council adopted the declaration of the State of Calamity made by the MDRRMC after the latter presented its initial damage assessment.

The declaration would enable the local government unit (LGU) to use its Calamity Fund and other resources for typhoon relief.

As of Monday, the LGU had distributed rice and canned goods to evacuees in Barangays Nangka and San Antonio with the view to doing the same in Barangays Upper Becerril, Lunop and Lower Becerril within the week.

The town said it was in need of relief supplies, water supply, and people and equipment for clearing operations. (CTL)

1 missing in Alegria

One person is missing in Alegria town, Cebu, the Alegria Public Information Office announced in a post-Typhoon Odette update Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2021.

Search and retrieval operations were ongoing for Rogelio Valdehuesa of Banahaw, Valencia, the town said on its Facebook page.

He had been missing since Dec. 17, the day after the storm.

The town also announced that road clearing was ongoing in Barangay Montpeller Upper Kawasan and Barangay Poblacion Upper Malbog going to Sima.

A day earlier, it said the mountain roads were already accessible but only by motorcycles.

Rice distribution was ongoing in the town’s nine barangays, it said. (CTL)

80% of Carcar homes ‘badly damaged’

Eighty percent of homes in Carcar City, Cebu have been “badly damaged” by Typhoon Odette, the local government unit said on Friday, Dec. 24.

The announcement, made eight days after the storm, marked the LGU’s return to social media when it said the City was finally able to get a strong enough cell phone signal to post news on its situation.

The LGU said 99 percent of homes made of light materials had been wrecked or had just their posts or walls remaining.

Its initial assessment showed that the southern Cebu town also suffered significant damage to government infrastructure, though it had yet to specify which structures had been damaged.

As of Christmas Eve, the city still had no electricity, and City Hall was making available a charging station for those needing to charge cellphones and flashlights.

The City Government was also seeking to bring water to water-less areas through the Bureau of Fire Protection, and tankers from the LGU and the private sector, it said.

The eye of Typhoon Odette hit Carcar at 10 p.m. on Dec. 16, packing maximum sustained winds of 175 kilometers per hour (km/hr) near the center and gusts of up to 240 km/hr.

The strong winds toppled power lines, causing a province-wide blackout that has impacted the water supply and telecommunication services.

In a report to Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia last Dec. 22, the Cebeco 1 said most of the LGUs it covered in southern Cebu, including Carcar, had been badly hit by Odette.

It said then that power had been restored only in parts of the towns of Ginatilan and Samboan, especially the highway. These two towns are located on the western seaboard close to the southernmost tip of Cebu.

Cebeco I said it was seeking to bring power to the highway from Boljoon to Oslob, this time on the eastern seaboard but also close to the southernmost tip of Cebu on December 22, according to Sugbo News, the official news platform of the Cebu Provincial Government.

Central and southern Cebu bore the brunt of Typhoon Odette. (CTL)

Carcar, Sibonga LGUs start giving aid

Two LGUs in southern Cebu have started the distribution of assistance to families who were affected by Typhoon Odette.

Carcar City Vice Mayor Nicepuro Apura said on Sunday, Dec. 26 that the city has started the distribution of 25 kilos of rice to each of the 40,000 households in the city.

Apura added that 98 percent of the roads in the city are already passable.

The city, he said, is in need of potable water and housing materials to rebuild the damaged houses of their constituents.

In Sibonga, Mayor Lionel Bacaltos said they have distributed five kilos of rice and another batch will be given on Dec. 30 and 31.

The mayor said that all government buildings in the town were damaged and 3,000 houses were destroyed while more than 8,000 houses were damaged.

Bacaltos added that the town has received around 1,200 sacks of rice and one million pesos cash assistance from the Cebu Provincial Government. He was told help from the national government is underway.

The Municipality has deployed electric generators to power electric pumps in deep wells around the town to supply potable water. (IRT)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting