‘Odette’ victims may have to wait until polls’ end to get aid, says Rama

·2 min read

RESIDENTS in Cebu City affected by Typhoon Odette (Rai) may have to wait until the end of the 2022 national and local elections before they can receive the P5,000 cash aid from the City Government.

This after Mayor Michael Rama said on Monday, April 25 that the Commission on Elections (Comelec) has not yet released its decision regarding the city’s request to exempt the distribution of the cash aid from the poll body’s spending ban.

Despite this, Rama said he had already ordered City Hall officials to prepare the funds and documentary requirements for the distribution.

“Do not worry. My term is until June 30 and the Comelec ban will be over, it (cash aid) will be given,” Rama said in Cebuano. Rama was elected vice mayor in the 2019 elections but he became mayor after the death of Mayor Edgardo Labella on Nov. 19, 2021.

According to Rama, the election ban on spending government funds deprived the city government in providing the much needed assistance to the victims of Typhoon Odette (Rai) that struck Cebu last Dec. 16, 2021.

Rama added that the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and the effects brought by the recent Tropical Storm Agaton (Megi) should be considered by the Comelec.

The City filed a petition before the Comelec’s main office in Intramuros, Manila during the first week of April.

Last March 25, the poll body’s spending ban was imposed to prevent the use of government money in political partisan activities.

The ban is expected to be lifted on May 8 or a day before the elections.

The City has already distributed more or less P380million worth of cash assistance to typhoon victims and additional appropriation worth P300 million was approve to cover those individuals who were not able to receive the cash aid.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting