An overseas Filipino worker sentenced to death for murder in Saudi Arabia is set to be beheaded this week, Vice President Jejomar Binay said Monday.
Binay, the presidential adviser on OFW concerns, said he is making a last-ditch appeal for Joselito Zapanta, who is to be executed for the killing of his Sudanese landlord.
According to Binay on his Facebook page, the offender's fate rests with the victim's family in cases such as this.
In other news: Pinoy household helpers in Dubai to receive $400 monthly minimum pay
The landlord’s family is asking for SAR 5 million (P55 million) as blood money, and if they do not receive it by Nov. 14, then the execution must proceed.
Binay noted that the government has allotted P5 million towards the total to help the family, and that President Benigno Aquino III wrote to King Abdullah last month to give Zapanta's family time to raise the amount.
"Ako naman po ay umapila sa hari ng Saudi Arabia sa isang sulat na ipapadala namin ngayon sa embahada ng Saudi at dadalhin bukas sa Saudi Arabia ng kinatawan ng DFA para personal na maipaabot kay King Abdullah," Binay said.
Binay said the Philippine embassy has assisted Zapanta since his arrest in 2009. He also asked for prayers for Zapanta, even as he reminded Filipinos to respect and follow the laws in their host countries. — BM, GMA News
Philippines is a rising Asian 'tiger': Canadian prime minister
Agusan Sur folk bewail illegal mining by aliens
The FBI confirmed on Thursday that a senior Malaysian militant with a $5-million reward on his head was killed in a January raid in the Philippines that also left 44 police commandos dead. The confirmation provides some validation for the botched raid that plunged President Benigno Aquino's administration into crisis and jeopardised efforts to end a decades-long Muslim separatist insurgency. "After a thorough review of forensic data and information obtained from our Philippine law enforcement …