Okinawa women demand sex remark apology

Women on Japan's island chain of Okinawa on Wednesday demanded an apology from an outspoken Japanese politician who suggested US troops there make use of its thriving sex industry.

The comments from Osaka Mayor Toru Hashimoto earlier this week came as he also said "comfort women" -- who most historians agree were pressed into sexual slavery for the Japanese imperial army during World War II -- served a "necessary" role in keeping soldiers in line.

Twenty-five women's groups in Okinawa issued a statement claiming to be a voice "from Okinawa, which still sits in the midst of unhealed scars from war and daily violence imposed by the military.

"We strongly protest against the Hashimoto comment and demand an apology and retraction of the remark," the statement said.

"Regardless of whether it is war-time or not, a view to use women as a tool (to let out sexual frustration) is intolerable," said Masako Ishimine, a senior member of a local women's body, quoted by the Okinawa Times.

"Does he mean women should simply take it because men work hard?"

The outrage came on the day Okinawa marked the 41st anniversary of its reversion to Japan at the end of post-WWII US occupation and after comments on history that provoked ire in South Korea and China.

Up to 200,000 women from Korea, China, the Philippines and elsewhere were forcibly drafted into brothels catering to the Japanese military in territories occupied by Japan during WWII, according to many mainstream historians.

In the Philippines, Rechilda Extremadura, the executive director of Lila Pilipina, an advocacy group whose 104 members were comfort women described Hashimoto as callous.

"No country has the right to violate women and make us victims so they can be fodder for war," she said. "Someone in his position should be more responsible with his remarks."

On its surrender at the end of the war, the whole of Japan was placed under US-led allied jurisdiction.

But while control of the country was handed back to a home-grown civilian government in 1952, Okinawa remained effectively US territory until 1972.

In the years since the war it has morphed into a curious mix of subtropical vacation paradise and the strategic US "keystone of the Pacific" which today is home to around half of the 47,000 US troops in Japan as part of a security treaty.

The weight of hosting those servicemen is keenly felt by the island chain's 1.3 million people, who complain of the noise and risk of accidents posed by massed US military hardware.

Crimes associated with the testosterone-charged presence of thousands of young troops -- including rapes and assaults -- frequently test relations between US bases and their host communities.

Osaka mayor Hashimoto stepped into this fray in recent days with a suggestion that servicemen be allowed to patronise legal sex businesses there to give them an outlet for frustrations that might otherwise result in violence or crime.

Okinawans reacted with revulsion, saying comments like this were symptomatic of mainlanders' view of them.

Shoko Toguchi, a senior member of a women's rights group, said Hashimoto "lacked the sense of human rights and was not able to feel the pain of Okinawa's people", Jiji Press reported.

Okinawa governor Hirokazu Nakaima told public broadcaster NHK on Wednesday that more than four decades after rule reverted to Tokyo, the islands still had more than their fair share of US troops.

"I take the side of respecting the Japan-US security treaty, but I still believe the entire nation should share the burden," he said.

The anniversary also came just a week after Chinese state media published calls for a re-think of the sovereignty of the archipelago, with hints that Beijing was the rightful ruler.

Beijing is aggressively pushing its case for ownership of disputed islands that are administratively part of Okinawa.

The presence earlier this week of a foreign submarine -- which media speculated was Chinese -- off an Okinawan island further fanned fears over Beijing's intent in the area.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options