One intruder believed dead in fresh clash in Lahad Datu

VIDEO | 1.44 mins

There was a fresh round of fighting at Kampung Tanduo, Lahad Datu this morning following air and ground strikes on the area yesterday.

"At 6.45am, our security forces was fired upon and they were forced to return fire. I understand that one enemy was shot... we believe he was killed," police chief Ismail Omar ( left ) told a press conference in Lahad Datu.

However, he said security forces have not retrieved the body for safety reasons.

He said that, to date, there have been no casualties or injuries among the police and armed forces who conducted the joint operations.

Ismail remained tight-lipped on casualties suffered by the intruders.

"We will give you the full details, hopefully at the end of the operation," he said.

Utusan Malaysia today claimed that 30 Sulu intruders had been killed in yesterday's operation named, 'Ops Daulat'.

The report, which did not state its source, said the total number of Sulu intruders killed stood at 49 as of yesterday.

However, the rumour that Azzimuddie Kiram - the brother of Sulu sultan Jamalul Kiram who is leading the armed group at Lahad Datu - has been killed, could not be verified.

Another Malay daily, Berita Harian, quoted anonymous sources as claiming that security forces have found 20 to 30 dead bodies of the enemy during their 'mopping' operation yesterday.

However, these reports cannot yet be verified.

Meanwhile, both Home Minister Hishammuddin Hussein and Defence Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi visited the media centre at Felda Sahabat Residence this afternoon.

Hishammuddin spoke to journalists about the ongoing operation and stressed that all discussions were off the record.

He promised to bring the press' request for better access to the operation to inspector-general of police Ismail Omar.

Related stories

Zahid to show visuals of Kg Tanduo battleground

One intruder believed dead in fresh clash in Lahad Datu

Security forces widen search for escapees

Displaced villagers plead for food supplies

Ops Daulat continues, situation under control

Malaysia hunts missing invaders as more fighters join

Sulu prince and group unscathed, have enough food

Anwar pours scorn on gov't handling of Lahad Datu

Ex-army chief rues lack of clear chain of command

Military rank confusion in partisan times

Pakatan MPs keep push for emergency session

'Explain delay which led to lost lives in Sabah'

Filipino cops block attempts to reinforce Sulu intruders

Manila denies calling intruders 'terrorists'

Filipinos flee hostilities in northern Borneo standoff

Could Sabah become a regional flashpoint?

Donation drive for families of policemen killed in Sabah

Walking in their shoes

Initial miscalculation may have cost lives

Strike on Sulu invaders is better late than never

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Philippines backs support for small enterprises at APEC meet

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The Philippines' top trade official on Saturday called for support for the integration of micro, small and medium enterprises in global trade, which he said would help reduce poverty and inequality in the Asia-Pacific region. …

  • US renews travel warning to Mindanao
    US renews travel warning to Mindanao

    The US State Department renewed its warning about the risks of travel to the Philippines, in particular to the Sulu archipelago, certain regions and cities of Mindanao and the southern Sulu Sea area. In an update on Wednesday of a travel warning it issued Nov. 20, 2014, the State Department said US citizens should continue to defer non-essential travel to the Sulu archipelago due to the high threat of kidnapping of international travelers and violence linked to insurgency and terrorism there. …

  • Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda
    Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda

    The Philippine initiative to put the interests of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) front and center in global and regional trade has made significant progress following the conclusion on Thursday of the 2nd APEC Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM2) and Related Meetings in Boracay, Aklan. Called “The Boracay Action Agenda to Globalize MSMEs,” the Philippine proposal calls for a host of specific, concrete and practical interventions that APEC economies can implement to provide MSMEs wider …

  • Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week
    Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week

    The Philippines will join a 15-nation meeting in Bangkok, Thailand next week to address the migration crisis involving thousands of Rohingyas who escaped persecution in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Justice Secretary Leila de Lima bared this yesterday after meeting with United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) representative to the Philippines Bernard Kerblat. In an interview, De Lima said the Philippine government has been invited to the meeting. …

  • Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon
    Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon

    LEGAZPI CITY—A magnitude 4.2 earthquake hit Prieto Diaz town in Sorsogon before dawn yesterday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said. …

  • Drought-resistant rice breeds bared
    Drought-resistant rice breeds bared

    SCIENCE CITY OF MUÑOZ, Nueva Ecija – Amid the searing heat, the Philippine Rice Research Institute central experiment station here has identified nine rice breeds which have been proven to be drought-resistant and produce high yields in temperatures as high as 38°C based on a recent study. Thelma Padolina, lead researcher of the study titled “Screening of rice-induced mutants for heat and drought tolerance,” identified the breeding lines as the Ballatinaw lines, PSB Rc72H and Azucena lines. …

  • Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning
    Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning

    The United States military will continue air and sea patrols in international waters even after the Chinese navy repeatedly warned a US surveillance plane to leave the airspace over artificial islands China is creating in the disputed South China Sea. The Philippine government also declared it would continue activities in the region, calling on China to respect freedom of navigation and aviation. “Our position on the importance of letting freedom of navigation, freedom of aviation and …

  • MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned
    MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned

    Electricity and mobile phone services would be cut throughout Metro Manila, and all private and government offices and businesses, including shopping malls, would be closed. That would be the situation on July 16 between 3 and 8 p.m. to simulate the scenario of a 7.2 magnitude earthquake. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has warned that an earthquake of that magnitude could occur and kill at least 33,500 people and injure at least 113,600 others following a …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options