Opposition councilors claim Ahong delayed release of JOs’ gratuity pay

·2 min read

THE rift between Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan and members of the city’s opposition bloc continues to deepen.

This as opposition councilors accused Chan of delaying the release of the P5,000 gratuity pay for the city’s job order (JO) employees.

In a written statement they sent to SunStar Cebu on Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2022, the councilors alleged that Chan’s failure to provide gratuity pay to JOs and those working for the City under contract of service directly violates Administrative Order 46, which was signed by President Rodrigo Duterte on Dec. 29, 2021.

A provision of the order states that the City must prepare a corresponding supplemental budget that should be enacted by the Sanggunian within fiscal year 2021.

But the councilors alleged that Chan only called for the council to convene for a special session on Jan. 3, 2022, which is already beyond the fiscal year 2021.

The statement was signed by opposition councilors Alexander Gestopa Jr., Rex Mangubat, Gregorio Paquibot Jr., Michael Dignos, Rodolfo Potot, Flaviano Hiyas Jr., Ricardo Amores and ex-officio member Eduardo Cuizon.

In a separate interview, Dignos told SunStar Cebu on Tuesday that they have referred the proposed ordinance to the Department of Budget and Management and the Department of the Interior and Local Government for their opinion on the matter.

“Naa pa unta toy duha ka adlaw nga si Mayor magpatawag tawag og special session pero iyaha gi baliwala or gikalimtan ba kaha niya,” said Dignos. (There was still two days left of last year that the mayor could have used to conduct a special session to tackle the matter, but it seems he ignored or forgotten about it.)

Duterte’s order allows JO workers who have rendered at least four months of actual satisfactory performance of services to receive the entire P5,000, while a gratuity pay of P4,000 will be given those who have rendered “three months or more but less than four months”; P3,000 for workers who have rendered “two months or more but less than three months”; and P2,000 for workers who rendered “less than two months.” SunStar Cebu tried to get Chan’s side on the matter, but all calls and texts to his phone remained unanswered as of press time.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting