INTERNET (SEPTEMBER 17, 2020) (SOCIAL MEDIA WEBSITE - ACCESS ALL) (MUTE)
1. STILL IMAGE OF FROM NAOMI OSAKA'S TWITTER PAGE WITH HER STATEMENT IN ENGLISH AND JAPANESE ANNOUNCING SHE IS WITHDRAWING FROM FRENCH OPEN WITH INJURY
2. STILL IMAGE OF OSAKA'S STATEMENT IN ENGLISH AND THEN JAPANESE, SAYING:
"Hey guys, first and foremost thank so much for all the support over the last 3 weeks. I couldn't have done it with without you! Unfortunaterly I won't be able to play the French Open this year. My hamstring is still sore so I won't have enough time to prepare for the clay - these 2 tournaments came too close to each other for me this time. I wish the organziers and players all the best. Miss you guys but you'll see me sooner than later! Love Naomi"
SINGAPORE (FILE - OCTOBER 20, 2018) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
3. OSAKA PRACTISING AHEAD OF THE WTA FINALS
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA (FILE - JANUARY 27, 2019) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
4. OSAKA POSING WITH THE 2019 AUSTRALIAN OPEN TROPHY
NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - SEPTEMBER 9, 2018) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
5. OSAKA POSING WITH THE U.S. OPEN TROPHY AFTER HER 2019 WIN
TOKYO, JAPAN (FILE - SEPTEMBER 13, 2018) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
6. OSAKA PLAYING TENNIS AT NISSAN SPONSORSHIP EVENT
STORY: U.S. Open champion Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the upcoming French Open with a hamstring injury, she said on Thursday (September 17) .
The 22-year-old Japanese had her left hamstring wrapped in tape when she battled back to defeat Victoria Azarenka at the U.S. Open final at Flushing Meadows last week en route to her third Grand Slam title.
"Unfortunately, I won't be able to play the French Open this year," the world number three wrote on social media.
"My hamstring is still sore so I won't have time to prepare for the clay - these two tournaments came too close to each other for me this time.
"I wish the organizers and players all the best."
(Production: David Grip)