Owen urges England coaching revamp after Euro agony

Former England striker Michael Owen led calls for an overhaul of the country's coaching on Monday after another major tournament campaign ended in disappointment.

England bowed out of Euro 2012 in Kiev on Sunday with their sixth penalty shoot-out defeat in seven attempts after a one-sided quarter-final against Italy finished 0-0 following extra-time.

But unlike previous disappointments, there was universal recognition on Monday that England had got exactly what they deserved from the encounter and that the technically superior Italians were worthy victors.

The match statistics later underscored Italy's superiority in all departments, with the Azzurri enjoying 64 percent possession to England's 34 percent, with 35 goal attempts to England's nine.

England's failure to maintain possession was also reflected in the telling passing statistics, with Italy completing 815 passes to England's paltry 320.

Owen said the only way England could hope to be competitive in future was to change coaching at grass-roots level.

"Easy for people to say 'until we keep possession better we will never win anything'. We are not as good as others at doing that," Owen wrote on Twitter.

"We played to our strengths but are just not quite good enough. We were hoping to 'do a Chelsea' (referring to the tactics they adopted to win the Champions League last season).

"If you are not the best team then you have to find an alternative way to win. The other option is to forget results for a while and start from scratch playing a different style.

"Doubt we have the type of players to do that though. Answer has to be to start coaching our youngsters a different brand of football."

Former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp meanwhile said England had no player of the calibre of Italy's masterful man-of-the-match Andrea Pirlo.

However, he added no criticism could be laid at the door of manager Roy Hodgson, the man who to general surprise got the job ahead of 'peoples favourite' Redknapp to replace Fabio Capello, who stepped down earlier in the year after John Terry was stripped of the captaincy.

"It would have been an injustice if we'd won," Redknapp said in The Sun. "They had twice as many touches as us."

"Roy Hodgson did the best he could with that squad. The players couldn't have given any more.

"What this could do is provide a lesson for everyone about how to be a force at international level," he said. "With Andrea Pirlo in there it was extremely tough for our boys to make an impact."

Meanwhile former England manager Graham Taylor said Sunday's defeat had exposed the limitations of Hodgson's preferred 4-4-2 tactical formation.

"If we'd won, we'd all be excited and we'd all be saying things but in the back of our minds would be the 120 minutes where we were the second best team," Taylor told BBC Radio Five Live.

"But in Andrea Pirlo you've mentioned a player there who had the freedom of the pitch. This is difficult, but it's one of the things I learned from my time and that is that we were never going to win anything playing 4-4-2."

Taylor said England would need to change their approach to the game to be successful in future.

"It's about style of play," he said.

"They are very comfortable on the ball and apparently going nowhere for a lot of time. That is something we are getting more and more aware of, possession is nine-tenths of the law in that regard.

"Italy basically kept the ball from us and dominated possession and had more shots. England looked tired as the competition went on and we've seen that before in many respects."

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which saw the ambassador rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. In a brief despatch, North Korea's official KCNA news …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options