Pacquiao, Tessa Prieto, Cesar Montano named ambassadors against hunger

International humanitarian group Global Village Champions Foundation (GVCF) on Wednesday named their newest Asian goodwill ambassadors against hunger, among them People’s Champ Manny Pacquiao. GVCF, which advocates eradicating hunger through humanitarian relief and feeding programs, also named socialite Tessa Prieto-Valdes, actors Cesar Montano and Alvin Anson as its Philippine goodwill ambassadors. Representatives of the GVCF, led by its founder Yank Barry, arrived in the Philippines mid-February together with former heavy weight champion Evander Holyfield. They were here to provide 2 million meals for typhoon victims of Pablo. The typhoon battered the southern Philippines late last year and took the lives of more than 1,000 people. The Global Village Champions Foundation introduced their Asian goodwill ambassadors (L to R) Camilla Sundman, Tessa Prieto-Valdes, GVCF founder Yank Barry, Cesar Montano and Alvin Anson. Photo by Rouchelle R. Dinglasan “I would like to thank Evander Holyfield and Yank Barry for personally coming to the Philippines, especially to my province to help me feed the typhoon victims and the needy,” Sarangani Rep. Pacquiao said in a statement. Apart from Sarangani, the group also conducted screenings for the feeding program in Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental, which were hardest hit by the typhoon. The current Mindanao feeding program adds to the 900 million documented meals already provided by GVCF

since 1993. Based on its 20-year program operation, the international humanitarian group aims to serve 1-billion meals before the year ends. In a press conference, Barry said that he chose to lend a hand to Filipino typhoon victims, as he would like to “help victims without a voice.” He added that Pablo survivors “have less than nothing.” “[Those hit by] Typhoon Pablo is in worse shape than Fukushima in Japan,” Barry Lamented. A huge tsunami struck the Fukushima Prefecture in Japan on March 2011, killing nearly 16,000 with 3,300 still unaccounted for. The Canadian philanthropist, who is also a former musician, also challenged Filipinos, especially private sector leaders, to help raise money for Pablo victims. “I challenge CEOs, whatever you raise here, I will match.” Pledges Meanwhile, Barry was appalled that the Philippine government, rather than helping GVCF's efforts to feed typhoon victims, was instead throwing up stumbling blocks. “There are two million meals sitting on the New York dock because the government asked [the group] for $70,000 for tax,” he said. Those who attended the Global Village Champions Foundation’s press conference were fed the same hot meal that will be served in the feeding programs. The porridge is made from organic soya beans. Photo by Rouchelle R. Dinglasan However, Wally Sumbero, GVCF Asia head, explained that the government’s hands were also tied regarding tax exemptions. “May proseso ang gobyerno for tax exemption,” he said. He clarified that the group was not looking for an exemption, but rather was asking the government to help expedite the procedure. For his part, newly designated Philippine goodwill ambassador Cesar Montano hoped President Benigno Aquino III would look into the matter. “I pledge to support you all the way... I am knocking on the door of the government to support [us in this endeavor]… Mr. President please help us.” Prieto-Valdes promised to donate the proceeds from her annual Red Cross ball to the organization. She said that she may also organize a concert to “send the message across [and to] get the word out.” She added that a concert will also be a “hip way to help.” — DVM, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post
    Ex-Cavite governor gets PCSO top post

    After nearly a year, President Aquino finally made good his promise to a long-time ally – former Cavite governor and congressman Erineo Maliksi – to head the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), replacing Margarita Juico who resigned in May 2014. Maliksi must be officially elected by the PCSO board members as their chairman. Prior to his appointment to the PCSO, Maliksi faced graft charges before the Sandiganbayan in connection with the alleged illegal purchase of P2.5 million worth …

  • US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense
    US, Phl military exercises to focus on sea defense

    A massive deployment of aircraft, personnel and warships characterizes this year’s Balikatan between the two allies, which war games were launched 30 years ago. Commander Lued Lincuna, Philippine Navy public affairs chief, said the Marine Battalion Landing Team-4 (MBLT-4) will link  up with the US 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force. …

  • P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China
    P-Noy seeking united Asean stand on China

    With China’s actions threatening to “considerably alter the way of doing business globally,” President Aquino will ask the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to take a united stand against Beijing’s massive reclamation activities and other provocative acts in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea. Aquino will raise the appeal to his ASEAN counterparts when they meet on April 27-28 in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia. Beijing reacted immediately to the plan, saying the …

  • OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism
    OIC exec backs BBL, says passage to end extremism

    The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) yesterday backed the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), warning that failure to see the peace process through with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) could open the door to extremism. OIC secretary-general Iyad Bin Amin Madani, who is in the country to rally support for the peace process and the BBL, told reporters at the Senate yesterday that the Philippines should not waste the opportunity to attain lasting peace in Mindanao, especially …

  • Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed
    Senate plan to probe corruption in judiciary opposed

    The head of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) is opposing the plan of the Senate to investigate alleged “justice for sale” in the judiciary. In an interview yesterday, IBP national president Vicente Joyas contested the pronouncement of Senate President Franklin Drilon that the Senate Blue Ribbon committee can probe the reported corruption in the judiciary, as it remains part of the scope of the Senate’s investigative power. “The plan of the Senate to push through with the …

  • PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view
    PNP: Floyd camp charging P.2 M for pay-per-view

    The camp of Floyd Mayweather is reportedly charging the Philippine National Police P200,000 for a pay-per-view deal of his fight with Manny Pacquiao, a PNP official said yesterday. Director Danilo Constantino, the PNP’s Chief Directorial Staff, said the cost of the pay-per-view for the fight makes it difficult for the PNP to sponsor the free viewing for its personnel and their dependents at Camp Crame’s multi-purpose center. “We are currently negotiating for the pay-per-view and we ever …

  • No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP
    No disruption in gun permit issuance – PNP

    There has been no disruption in the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Alan Purisima was suspended in December 2014, an official said yesterday. PNP officer-in-charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina is the one signing the PTCFOR cards, PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said. Cerbo, however, could not say when Espina started signing the cards and how many PTCFORs have …

  • HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’
    HK pol calls Pinay maids ‘home wreckers’

    A senior Hong Kong politician is under fire after she accused some Filipina domestic helpers of seducing their male employers, in comments branded “racist” and “offensive” by critics. There are 300,000 maids in Hong Kong, mostly from the Philippines and Indonesia, with concern growing among rights groups over their welfare following a string of abuse cases. But lawmaker Regina Ip, a close adviser to the city’s leader Leung Chun-ying and tipped as a future chief executive, cast the maids as …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options