Paire heads modest field at ATP Los Angeles Open

The upcoming London Olympic tournament has taken a huge bite out of this week's ATP draw, with 50th-ranked Frenchman Benoit Paire lining up as the top seed at the Los Angeles Open.

The 23-year-old whose Wimbledon third round last month was the best grand slam showing of his career heads a modest field at a tournament which has been won in the past by icons including Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, Jim Courier, Michael Chang and Boris Becker.

Paire, who this month achieved the highest ranking of his career, is considered a rising prospect, standing 20-16 in 2012 and reaching his first ATP-level final in Belgrade two months ago.

The top seed, who faces the winner of a match between Americans Jesse Levine and Michael Russell, also reached the semi-finals on grass in 's-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands and quarters in Auckland and Casablanca. He has a first-round bye. Local players make up more than a quarter of the field at UCLA, with eight Americans directly into the main draw.

Day one scheduling was extremely light, with Chilean Davis Cup player Paul Capdeville beating Russian Igor Kunitsyn 6-4, 7-6 (7/5) in a first-round match.

Eighth seed Brian Baker, who came back after six season away with injuries to reach the third round at Roland Garros, lost to compatriot Rajeev Ram 7-6 (7/3), 7-5. Italy's Flavio Cipolla beat US teenager Jack Sock 6-3, 6-1.

Los Angeles tournament director Bob Kramer, son of late legend Jack Kramer, admits that his event is hurting at this edition.

He added that the situation for smaller events is not helped by an International Olympic Committee procedural change which allows four players from a country to participate instead of three.

"For the smaller events being held around the Olympics, this took quite a few more players off the board," he said.

The tournament gave a wild card to one-time top ten player James Blake, 32, an expectant father and ranked 112.

Blake won a round last week in Atlanta on hardcourt against Olympic young gun Ryan Harrison, his first on the ATP since November 1 in Basle.

Seeded second behind Paire is two-time tournament champion Sam Querrey, a southern Californian whose once-promising career has stalled in the past seasons due to injuries. He seriously cut his arm when he crashed through a glass coffee table in Bangkok in late 2009.

His latest problem was an elbow injury in 2011 which limited his comeback last season to mainly Challenger events.

Argentine Leonardo Mayer takes the third seeding with Frenchman Nicolas Mahut on court. Belgian veteran Xavier Malisse, the fifth seed, will be playing the event for the eighth time in 11 years and boasts a 2001 semi-final as his best showing.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day
    Biker Beauty: Honda and David's Salon Pampering Day

    Honda Philippines Inc. (HPI), and David's Salon recently held the awarding ceremony for the Metro Manila winner of the David's Salon Scooter Raffle Promo at the 5th level of SM Megamall Building A. Loyal patron Maria Theresa Guevara took home a brand new Honda Click 125i. Present to grace the occasion were David's Salon Creative Director Laura Charlton and HPI Assistant Vice-President for Sales and Marketing Hideo Nishinaga.To the delight of all those in attendance, guests were treated to …

  • ‘Next leader must not be newbie’
    ‘Next leader must not be newbie’

    Vice President Jejomar Binay believes the next president of the Philippines must have vast experience and a long track record in governance and in dealing with crises. “I am very much convinced that the local government is the best training ground for those who want to run for national government positions,” he said. Binay said he is determined to run for president in 2016 on the strength of his competence and track record. …

  • Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning
    Massacre suspect tests negative for poisoning

    A suspect in the Maguindanao massacre case who had been examined at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) tested negative for poisoning, medical records released yesterday showed. However, the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case resolved to isolate Police Officer 1 Pia Kamidon from the rest of the accused detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig for his safety. In a two-page order, Regional Trial Court Branch 221 assisting Judge Genie Gapas-Agbada ordered jail officials to …

  • ‘Homework first before Facebook’
    ‘Homework first before Facebook’

    President Aquino elicited laughter from students here as he reminded them to open books first before Facebook. “Finish your assignments first before making a raid in the Clash of Clans,” Aquino said, referring to a popular online game. In a speech during the turnover yesterday of two new three-story buildings at the Tarlac National High School, he said the government could only provide opportunities for learning but the rest of the work would be up to the students. The new school buildings …

  • Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement
    Espina resignation confirmed; Noy looks for replacement

    President Aquino ended speculations yesterday and confirmed that Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina had indeed resigned as officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police. As of this time, we are conducting various interviews and checks on the various candidates,” Aquino told reporters at the Tarlac National High School in Tarlac City. Aquino had kind words for Espina, saying that he stood by and defended the 44 slain police Special Action Force (SAF) commandos in the operation in …

  • Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation
    Palace welcomes G7 concern over sea reclamation

    President Aquino welcomed yesterday the Group of Seven industrialized countries’ expression of concern over rising tension in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, calling it a clear indication of the global scope of the problem ramped up by China’s massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. In Tarlac City where he led the turnover of new classrooms, Aquino told reporters that goodwill and not tension must prevail in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, where territorial …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options