Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that it is intensifying programs to address
incidents of hunger in the country.
In a text message, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the Department of Social Welfare and Development “is intensifying our supplementary feeding program and expanding the 4Ps (Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program)."
Under the 4Ps is the conditional cash transfer (CCT) program which provides monthly stipend of up to P1,400 to around
two million beneficiaries around the country. The government targets to increase the number of beneficiaries to three million by next year.
Results of a survey conducted by pollster Social Weather Stations (SWS) from March 10 to 13 showed that some 4.8 million Filipinos claim that they do not have enough food to eat.
SWS said the latest survey on hunger or involuntary suffering due to the lack of food to eat, saw increases in "moderate" as well as "severe hunger."
It said the latest hunger rating of 23.8 percent was slightly higher than the 22.5 percent rating (4.5 million families) recorded last December.
SWS also noted that the latest hunger data was the highest recorded so far, slightly edging out the 23.7 hunger record in December 2008.
It added that hunger incidence has been over 20 percent in the past three quarters.
Valte said according to DSWD Secretary Corazon Soliman, hunger incidence rose in calamity-stricken areas in Mindanao and Central Luzon. — Amita Legaspi/RSJ, GMA News