Palace denies claim of Sulu Sultan's clan on killing of Pinoys in Sabah standoff

(Updated 1:16 p.m.) Ten Filipinos holed up at a village in Sabah have been killed while four others were wounded when Malaysian authorities allegedly fired at them, the camp of Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III claimed Friday noon. Malacañang, however, said that based on information reaching the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), there were neither casualties nor a gunfight in Sabah, belying the claim of Kiram's daughter, Princess Jacel Kiram. “Walang gunfight o firefight, warning shots were just fired. There were also no casualties,” deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said at an emergency briefing. Valte said the shots fired by the Malaysians were not intended to hurt the Filipinos. “Meron sa mga grupo sa Sabah na nagtangkang lumabas sa cordoned off security area [kaya nagkaroon ng] warning shots. Na-detain 'yung dalawa, tapos pinabalik na rin [sa cordoned off area,]” she said. At a separate press briefing in Taguig City, Jacel said, "We suffered 14 casualties — 10 dead and four wounded. Blood has flowed." Parts of the briefing were aired on radio dzBB. Jacel said the fighting happened even though in the last two days, the Kirams had been engaged in "formal and informal talks" for a peaceful settlement of the conflict. She called on the Malaysian government to clarify if it wants to engage in a dialogue or resort to other courses of action. Firing ended In an interview aired over GMA News TV's Balitanghali, Foreign Affairs spokesperson Raul Hernandez said the shooting has ended and that there were no casualties. "[Ayon sa impormasyon na] binigay sa amin ng ambassador [ng Malaysia] na merong nangyaring firing earlier pero walang mga casualties at yung firing na yan ay huminto na, wala nang putukan," he said. However, he said the Malaysian ambassador did not inform him why and when the firing began. "We are hoping to get more details on this later," he said. "Importante sa atin na matiyak ang kaligtasan ng ating mga kababayan doon sa Lahad Datu kaya patuloy tayong umaapila kay Sultan Jamalul na hikayatin na ang kanyang mga

tauhan na kusang umuwi na sa kani-kanilang mga pamilya at tahanan sa Mindanao," he added. Hernandez also said that a Philippine Navy ship is still on standby in case some of Kiram's followers decide to return to the country. He said they will give them enough time to think about the appeal of President Benigno Aquino III for them to leave Malaysia. In the meantime, Hernandez said the government will maintain open communication lines with Malaysian authorities. "Si (DFA Secretary Albert) Del Rosario is in touch with the Malaysian foreign minister at we are also in touch here with the Malaysian embassy, with the Malaysian ambassador, tapos yung embahada natin sa Kuala Lumpur is in touch with Malaysian authorities so tuloy-tuloy yung ating pakikipag-ugnayan sa kanila," Hernandez explained. Raja Muda not captured Meanwhile, Kiram's spokesman Abraham Idjirani contested government reports that there were no casualties, saying their casualty count of 14 came from Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram, the sultan's brother and the leader of the group in Sabah. Idjirani also denied reports that Raja Muda had been wounded or captured. "He is well, he is not wounded," he said. He claimed that Malaysian security forces sneaked into the area where the Filipino group had been staying, "already penetrating their ground." Earlier, in an interview with radio dzBB at around 10 a.m. Friday, Raja Muda said they were shot at and had to "defend" themselves.

Asked what time the Malaysian forces allegedly moved in, Raja Muda Agbimuddin said, "oras na ito (at this time)." Reached for comment, the DFA's Hernandez said "we are still validating as of the moment" the report about the attack. The Malaysian Embassy through Raveendran Nair, First Secretary of Information and Public Diplomacy, also told GMA News Online, "At the moment, the embassy has no comment. The embassy will not issue a statement on the matter." The group in Sabah had adopted a defiant stance after being surrounded by Malaysian forces, and when the first deadline for them to leave peacefully lapsed midnight of Tuesday.

Composed of relatives and followers of the Sulu Sultan, the group arrived in Sabah on February 9 and have been in a standoff with Malaysian forces since then, after staking their claim on their supposed homeland.

Malaysian forces have blocked off their food and water supplies, but did not fire on them until Friday, while waiting for a peaceful resolution to the situation.

On Thursday, Malaysia's The Star online reported that the group of armed Filipinos coped with the blockade by living off the supplies in the houses abandoned by local villagers.

The news report said the Filipinos claimed they were "all fine" despite the land and sea blockade by Malaysian security forces. - with Kimberly Jane Tan and Patricia Denise Chiu/VVP/KBK/YA, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US renews travel warning to Mindanao
    US renews travel warning to Mindanao

    The US State Department renewed its warning about the risks of travel to the Philippines, in particular to the Sulu archipelago, certain regions and cities of Mindanao and the southern Sulu Sea area. In an update on Wednesday of a travel warning it issued Nov. 20, 2014, the State Department said US citizens should continue to defer non-essential travel to the Sulu archipelago due to the high threat of kidnapping of international travelers and violence linked to insurgency and terrorism there. …

  • Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda
    Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda

    The Philippine initiative to put the interests of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) front and center in global and regional trade has made significant progress following the conclusion on Thursday of the 2nd APEC Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM2) and Related Meetings in Boracay, Aklan. Called “The Boracay Action Agenda to Globalize MSMEs,” the Philippine proposal calls for a host of specific, concrete and practical interventions that APEC economies can implement to provide MSMEs wider …

  • Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week
    Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week

    The Philippines will join a 15-nation meeting in Bangkok, Thailand next week to address the migration crisis involving thousands of Rohingyas who escaped persecution in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Justice Secretary Leila de Lima bared this yesterday after meeting with United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) representative to the Philippines Bernard Kerblat. In an interview, De Lima said the Philippine government has been invited to the meeting. …

  • Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon
    Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon

    LEGAZPI CITY—A magnitude 4.2 earthquake hit Prieto Diaz town in Sorsogon before dawn yesterday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said. …

  • Drought-resistant rice breeds bared
    Drought-resistant rice breeds bared

    SCIENCE CITY OF MUÑOZ, Nueva Ecija – Amid the searing heat, the Philippine Rice Research Institute central experiment station here has identified nine rice breeds which have been proven to be drought-resistant and produce high yields in temperatures as high as 38°C based on a recent study. Thelma Padolina, lead researcher of the study titled “Screening of rice-induced mutants for heat and drought tolerance,” identified the breeding lines as the Ballatinaw lines, PSB Rc72H and Azucena lines. …

  • Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning
    Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning

    The United States military will continue air and sea patrols in international waters even after the Chinese navy repeatedly warned a US surveillance plane to leave the airspace over artificial islands China is creating in the disputed South China Sea. The Philippine government also declared it would continue activities in the region, calling on China to respect freedom of navigation and aviation. “Our position on the importance of letting freedom of navigation, freedom of aviation and …

  • MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned
    MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned

    Electricity and mobile phone services would be cut throughout Metro Manila, and all private and government offices and businesses, including shopping malls, would be closed. That would be the situation on July 16 between 3 and 8 p.m. to simulate the scenario of a 7.2 magnitude earthquake. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has warned that an earthquake of that magnitude could occur and kill at least 33,500 people and injure at least 113,600 others following a …

  • Subaru XV now priced among sedans
    Subaru XV now priced among sedans

    Motor Image Philipinas (MIP), the authorized distributor of Subaru in the country, has positioned its brand new crossover SUV, the Subaru XV, well within the sedan segment’s price range. This move, according to MIP, was made to give the public an opportunity to experience the brand’s unique automotive technologies by lowering its price. Buyers of […] The post Subaru XV now priced among sedans appeared first on Carmudi Philippines. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options