Palace: Presidential Car Necessary Expense

MANILA, Philippines - President Aquino is expected to use his contingency fund for the proposed purchase of a new bullet-proof presidential limousine, Malacañang said Tuesday.

Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda defended that the acquisition of a new presidential car is a "necessary expense" to ensure the protection of the President.

Several administration congressmen recently signed a resolution seeking the replacement of the old repair-prone presidential car with a new unit that has latest security features.

"All heads of state are required to have an official vehicle but our President is using his own vehicle. It's unfair for the President to be using his own vehicle because when it breaks down, the repair fees can't be charged against public funds. That's the reason we welcome the resolution of the House in recommending that the President purchase a vehicle," Lacierda said during a news conference in the Palace.

On the source of the funds to buy a new car, Lacierda: "The President has a contingency fund and part of this contingency fund is for the breakdown of his vehicles."

Lacierda also asserted that the acquisition cost of a new car was small compared to the billions of pesos spent to improve services for the people.

He said the government has implemented "a lot of services" for the people, including the P65.5 billion worth of infrastructure projects, P13 billion in cash subsidies for the poor, and P2.39 billion for mandated kindergarten schooling.

"Compared to the billions we laid out for various government programs for our countrymen, this is a necessary expense for our President because all heads of state are required to have official vehicle. I think it is not hypocritical to say our President and our commander-in-chief is entitled to protection," he said.

Lacierda denied speculations that administration congressmen who endorsed the acquisition of a new presidential car were just trying to get favors from the President. He said the congressmen represent the people who are concerned about the President's safety. "The resolution is not being issued to brownnose the President," he added.

Budget Secretary Florencio Abad also agreed with the House resolution seeking a new presidential limousine. "Procuring an appropriate vehicle for the President is not only about convenience; more importantly, it's also about the safety and security of the highest official of the land. But the decision to buy or not to buy is the President's," Abad said.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options