Parents on trial over teen murder that gripped India

A murder case that has obsessed India for four years will come to court on Friday when a middle-class couple from Delhi stand trial on charges of killing their teenage daughter and domestic servant.

At first police blamed the servant for murdering Aarushi Talwar, 13, but now her parents are accused of stabbing them both to death in a case awash with sexual rumour, as well as charges of police incompetence and a media witchhunt.

Rajesh and Nupur Talwar, who are successful dentists, have always denied killing their daughter and Nepalese employee Hemraj Banjade in the capital's suburb of Noida in May 2008.

The murders have raised awkward questions about the relationship between newly-wealthy Indian families and the poor, often-migrant servants who cook, clean and look after their every need at home.

When Aarushi was found with her throat slit, police immediately said Hemraj had murdered her -- triggering a media firestorm that tapped into fears within many Indian households about untrustworthy domestic staff.

But almost two days after Aarushi was killed, officers found Hemraj's body lying in the hot sun on the roof terrace of the house after he was apparently murdered at the same time as Aarushi.

The discovery kicked off fevered speculation about whether her parents had killed the two after discovering their daughter was in a relationship with the servant, or that they were killed to hide the parents' alleged affairs.

"Our stand was that the probe of the investigating officer proves that no outsider was involved in this," Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) counsel R.K. Saini told reporters after the decision to prosecute for murder.

"Circumstantial evidence is pointing out that whatever has been done, the parents only have done it," he said.

But major doubts have arisen over the case -- not least how the police failed to gather forensic evidence properly from the scene and the way that they reversed their stance to say that they had proof of the parents' guilt.

The CBI even closed the case last year declaring it unsolved, before a sudden U-turn in favour of a prosecution.

The investigative magazine Tehelka has been especially critical of the police work and condemned what it called the "conspiratorial hysteria" fuelled by media coverage of the case.

"The Talwars have been pulled through some of our society's darkest anxieties," the magazine said. "Dante's hell is alive in Delhi and the Talwars seem to have no way out of it."

In a television interview last year, Nupur Talwar said she and her husband had been the victims of unsubstantiated gossip, innuendo and police scapegoating.

"I have almost lost faith in humanity," Talwar said. "I was a believer in truth and justice... I always thought truth would prevail in the end, but I'm not so sure about that now."

One of the Talwars' supporters has been Patrick French, a British author who undertook his own study of the murder for his 2011 book on contemporary Indian issues.

"It makes no sense to say that they did or would have killed their daughter," he told AFP, adding he was "100 percent convinced" of their innocence.

"If you are looking for a motive you are left with these bizarre theories that the police have come up with suggesting a relationship between Aarushi and Hemraj for which there is not a jot of evidence," he said.

India's newspapers often recount grisly murders but the Aarushi case has generated unprecedented interest.

"It sheds a light on police inefficiency and corruption, the middle-class fear of servants, and every parent's terror of their child being killed," said French.

The trial, which will be held without a jury as in all Indian courts, is due to open on Friday morning with Rajesh and Nupur Talwar both present in the dock.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Indonesian executions: key questions and answers
    Indonesian executions: key questions and answers

    Indonesia is set soon to execute eight foreigners convicted of drug offences, despite international outrage and desperate appeals for mercy from relatives. Authorities on Saturday gave formal notice to the eight -- from Australia, Brazil, Nigeria and the Philippines -- that they would face a firing squad imminently. If the executions go ahead, the seven men and one woman will be led to a clearing on a prison island to be shot by police marksmen -- after authorities have placed a black mark on …

  • Pagasa: Drought may worsen
    Pagasa: Drought may worsen

    The drought in 12 already dry areas in the country is expected to worsen as the summer season peaks next month, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. In an advisory, PAGASA said the provinces of Albay, Bataan, Batangas, Biliran, Cavite, Cebu, Ilocos Norte, Leyte, Misamis Occidental, Pampanga, Zamboanga del Norte and Zamboanga del Sur will continue to receive “way below” or “below normal” rainfall in May. PAGASA defines …

  • Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea
    Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea

    The military has advised its pilots conducting surveillance in the West Philippine Sea to exercise maximum restraint even if they are being bullied by Chinese troops. Armed Forces spokesman Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala said all actions of the pilots should be consistent with the declaration of conduct signed by claimant countries. Armed Forces public affairs chief Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said the Philippines should remain on moral high ground when it comes to the territorial dispute. A …

  • MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami
    MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami

    The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) yesterday led the annual rescue march from Quezon City to Manila, giving rescue volunteers a glimpse of possible scenarios if the metropolis is hit by a strong quake or is inundated by a tsunami. Cora Jimenez, MMDA general manager, said 700 volunteer rescuers walked from the Quezon City memorial circle to the Bonifacio monument in front of the Manila city hall to simulate a response-exercise to a magnitude 7.2 earthquake. Renato Solidum, …

  • Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean
    Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean

    Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario bared yesterday before the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) reports of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) threat to the Philippines through the Black Flag Movement in Mindanao. Speaking before ASEAN foreign ministers, Del Rosario said the ISIS threat to Philippine security is real rather than imagined because of the Black Flag Movement’s pledge of allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. …

  • ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’
    ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’

    China’s occupation and buildup of its military structures in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea is causing the country’s top energy official to get the jitters as the encroachment is seen as a huge dent on the Philippines’ efforts to achieve energy security. “It is a concern but if we don’t bring it to the United Nations, where will we bring it? We cannot bang heads with them,” Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla told The STAR in an interview over the weekend. The US Energy …

  • Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control
    Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control

    The Philippines yesterday urged the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to unite and stop China’s massive reclamation in disputed waters as it will give China “de facto control” over the area and cause $100 million in marine wealth losses annually. At the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting here, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario told his counterparts that the situation in West Philippine Sea had worsened just a year after the Philippines began to draw international …

  • Gov’t spends P11.8 M for Noy’s Asean trip
    Gov’t spends P11.8 M for Noy’s Asean trip

    The government has allotted about P11.8 million for President Aquino’s attendance at the 26th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi in Malaysia from April 26 to 28. “President Aquino’s participation to the 26th ASEAN Summit is important as the region gears toward the creation of an ASEAN community, which is envisioned to provide new opportunities for the peoples of this region, including the Philippines,” Ochoa said in a statement. He was with …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options