PCCI asks businesses in Zamboanga safe areas to open

The Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI) appealed to businesses outside the conflict areas in Zamboanga City to open, saying that government forces have prevented the fight from spreading to other parts of the city.

In a statement, PCCI president Miguel Varela said "the crisis is contained in Zamboanga City" based on the its regional and provincial officials' assessment in Mindanao.

"The police and the military, likewise, have taken proactive steps to prevent the spread of the crisis in other areas,” he said.

Last week, Zamboanga Chamber of Commerce president Pedro Soliven said the city is "still volatile and [at a] standstill," appealing for food, medicine, toiletries, and other basic needs after being besieged by gunmen of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF).

Varela said the PCCI's assessments are based on consultations with the Zamboanga crisis management committee and regular meetings with the Philippine National Police, the military, and community and religious leaders in the city.

He said the organization has also contacted its own business networks, gone on site visits and fielded personnel to gather information.

“Aside from the consultations, our officials have also validated through their own observations and site visits that security outside the affected areas has been heightened to ensure that commercial offices, banks, telecommunications companies, shopping malls, factories, the airport and ports are safe,” Varela said.

Efforts to resolve the crisis remain unsuccessful, with both sides still locked in a firefight even after Vice President Jejomar Binay announced that MNLF chairman Nur Misuari agreed to a ceasefire.

On Monday, the Philippine Air Force launched an air strike, targeting areas where MNLF forces are concentrated.

Cebu Pacific cancels flights

With the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) extending the suspension of Zamboanga Airport operations, Cebu Pacific has cancelled flights from September 17 to 21.

The following flights were cancelled:
5J 851/852 Manila-Zamboanga-Manila
5J 855/856 Manila-Zamboanga-Manila
5J 859/860 Manila-Zamboanga-Manila
5J 857/858 Manila-Zamboanga-Manila
5J 433/434 Cebu-Zamboanga-Cebu
5J 393/394 Davao-Zamboanga-Davao
5J 839/840 Zamboanga - Tawi-Tawi - Zamboanga
5J 845/844 Cagayan de Oro - Zamboanga - Cagayan de Oro

"CEB hopes for its guests' understanding as this situation is beyond the airline's control. CEB will continue to provide updates as soon as available," the airline said in its advisory.

The Gokongwei-led airline said passengers affected by the cancellations may rebook flights with no penalties, or go for full refund.

Last week, rival Philippine Airlines cancelled its flights to and from Zamboanga City until September 21. — Danessa O. Rivera/BM, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • 15 wounded in 2 explosions in restive southern Philippines

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — At least 15 people have been wounded in two separate blasts that hit a police camp in a restive southern Philippine province where Muslim militants operate, police said Saturday. …

  • 15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp
    15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp

    Fifteen people including 10 police officers were wounded in an attack on a mosque at police camp on a remote Philippine island long plagued by Islamic militancy, officials said on Saturday. Successive blasts targeted the mosque inside Camp Kasim on the island of Jolo early evening Friday -- an initial grenade attack followed by a bomb explosion less than 10 minutes later that was intended to target police who rushed to the scene, local authorities said. "It seems the (first) explosion was set …

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. However, there is no word yet if the Philippines will specifically ask Tokyo to join calls for China to stop its massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options