MONITORING activities at the Cebu Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) will now be round the clock starting on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019.
Aside from this, newly installed PDRRMO chief Neil Angelo Sanchez also wants their office to include human-induced disasters in their monitoring activities.
“Our office is unique. Our monitoring activities cover 24 hours, seven days a week. Perhaps one thing we will include in our monitoring are human-infused incidents,” he said in an interview Friday, Nov. 29.
For now, the PDRRMO is focusing on preparations for Typhoon Tisoy since the tropical cyclone may intensify into a super typhoon while barreling towards east of the Philippines.
As of 10 a.m. Friday, Nov. 29, Typhoon Tisoy was 1,470 kilometers east of southern Luzon, packing maximum sustained winds of 140 kilometers per hour (kph) and 170 kph gusts.
“I wanted to go talk with the governor (Gwendolyn Garcia) so that we can convene the Pedra (Pre-Disaster Risk Assessment). That’s among the first things I want to discuss, especially its impact. Even though we are not directly hit, but northern Cebu may be affected,” Sanchez said.
He said he wants to focus on disaster preparedness.
“I have to review what the previous administration did. If there are measures or practices worth keeping or worth sustaining, then why not? But if there are measures that we have to improve or do away with, then let’s do it also,” he said.
Sanchez resigned as PDRRMO chief in March 2014 and opted to leave government service in order to focus on his private businesses. He was in public office for 16 years.
After leaving public office, he rejoined the Capitol this year and assumed his position as disaster chief anew.
He replaced former PDRRMO chief Baltazar Tribunalo Jr., who left his post earlier this month after his office was downgraded into a division under the Office of the Governor.
Sanchez took his oath of office before the governor last Thursday, Nov. 28.