TO ensure round the clock operations, the Cebu Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) is mulling over hiring additional personnel that will be on duty 24 hours, seven days a week.
PDRRMO chief Neil Angelo Sanchez stressed the need to have more disaster personnel, especially for calamities and untoward incidents that might hit the province.
“I’m requesting from the budget office and HR (Provincial Human Resource Department) the maximum number of personnel that we can hire. I am also looking into the difference between the previous and present line-up,” Sanchez said in Cebuano on Thursday, Jan. 23, 2020.
Sanchez is planning on hiring 14 additional personnel.
From 37, PDDRMO’s workforce was downsized to 10 plantilla positions after it was downgraded into a division under the Office of the Governor in
Sanchez, though, said he already has some possible candidates in mind, whom he had met during his stint at the Office of the Civil Defense.
He is also examining responders that had previously served the PDRRMO before it was downgraded.
“There were personnel that had been engaged with us before, but unfortunately their employment contracts were not renewed. They have the skills that we really need for this office to respond because one of the mandates of the DRRM offices is to respond to emergencies and render assistance to local government units that are in need,” Sanchez said in a mix of Cebuano and English.
Sanchez said he still has to raise the matter with Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia for the final decision on the move to hire more personnel.
In another development, the PDRRMO is working closely with the Provincial Health Office (PHO) on preventive measures against the spread of the coronavirus.
“Just a heads up to all our DRRMOs, to PHO, Municipal Health Offices and tourism offices to come up with contingency measures to avoid public health emergency. God forbid, but if it will be mismanaged, it will come out as a public emergency,” Sanchez said in a mix of Cebuano and English. (ANV, RTF)