Peace talks gets support from Nobel laureate

A Nobel Peace Prize laureate who is now a member of the British House of Lords is set to arrive in Manila on Wednesday to support the Mindanao peace process, the British embassy in Manila said.

Lord David Trimble, who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1998 along with John Hume for efforts that led to a peaceful solution to the conflict in Northern Ireland, will be in a five-day visit in the Philippines.

His trip comes at the heels of a new framework agreement signed between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front in October.

In other News: Two suspects in Rolito Go abduction' already in NBI custody

The accord, which involves the establishment of a new autonomous political entity named "Bangsamoro", rekindles hope of bringing peace to conflict-battered Mindanao.

Talks between government and MILF meanwhile resumed in Malaysia Monday, with final details of the framework deal expected to be ironed out by December.

Lord Trimble is scheduled to meet leaders involved in the Mindanao peace process to share his experiences and insights, an embassy statement showed.

Related story: 26 hurt in bus accident in South Cotabato

Among the officials he will be speaking with are Vice President Jejomar Binay, Presidential Peace Process Adviser Teresita Deles, lawmakers, as well as civil society groups.

"This is one of a series of activities involving the UK and the British Embassy as part of the  UK’s role as a member of the International Contact Group that supports the Mindanao peace process," the statement noted.

In other News: Outstanding Expat Pinoy children would rather not be OFWs

Prior to serving in the British Parliamend, Lord Thimble was the First Minister of Northern Ireland from 1998 to 2002, the leader of the Ulster Unionist Party between 1995 and 2005, and an MP for Upper Bann from 1990 to 2005.

Lord Trimble is also involved in other efforts at conflict resolution, including the Middle East peace process.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • US ambassador slashed in Seoul attack
    US ambassador slashed in Seoul attack

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was slashed on his face and arm by a blade-wielding assailant shouting anti-war slogans in an attack in Seoul Thursday, police and reports said. The United States strongly condemned the "act of violence" which left the ambassador bleeding profusely as he was rushed to hospital, and said that President Barack Obama had spoken with him. "The President called (Lippert) to tell him that he and his wife Robyn are in his thoughts and prayers, and to …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options