THE Department of Health (DOH) central office on Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2020, reported an additional 2,965 cases of coronavirus infection, bringing the total case count in the country closer to 200,000.
As of 4 p.m. Tuesday, the total number of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases was 197,164, of which 61,730 were active cases.
The additional cases were based on the test results reported by 86 laboratories. Most of these new cases, or 2,434, occurred in the last two weeks from August 12 to August 25.
Of the 2,965 new cases, around half or 1,575 came from the National Capital Region (NCR).
Negros Occidental in Western Visayas figured for the first time in the top four provinces with the highest number of infections in a day.
The DOH reported 237 new cases in Negros Occidental, followed by 151 in Laguna, 129 in Cavite and 95 in Batangas.
Of the active cases, 1.4 percent were in critical condition, 0.9 percent were severe, 91.6 percent were mild and 6.1 percent were asymptomatic.
The DOH also announced 368 recoveries, increasing the total to 132,396.
Thirty-four additional mortalities were reported, raising the death toll to 3,038. Of the 34 deaths, 26 occurred in August, seven in July, and one in June.
Twenty-two deaths were from NCR, four from Central Visayas, three from Calabarzon, two from Bicol, and one each from Northern Mindanao and Mimaropa. One repatriate also died.
The DOH said it removed 53 duplicates from the total case count and updated the outcomes of seven cases.
Five cases that were previously reported as deaths were recoveries while one case that was reported as having recovered had died.
CV Covid-19 stats
As of Aug. 24, Central Visayas had 2,729 active cases of the 18,370 total Covid-19 cases.
On the same day, the DOH 7 also reported 22 new cases and 186 recoveries, bringing the total number of recoveries to 14,569 and recovery rate at 79.30 percent.
Lapu-Lapu City had the most number of newly reported recoveries at 59. Cebu City and Cebu Province had the same number of recoveries—51.
Minglanilla had eight recoveries; Talisay City, seven; Mandaue City, seven; and Consolacion, three.
The DOH 7 reported that of the 22 new cases, 11 were from Cebu City; three, Mandaue City; one, Lapu-Lapu City; three, Cebu Province; two, Talisay City; and two, Consolacion.
Of the total active cases, 1,216 were recorded in Cebu City (439 admitted in hospitals; 777 isolated); 333, Mandaue City (111 admitted; 222 isolated); 314, Lapu Lapu City (75 admitted; 239 isolated); 635, Cebu Province (151 admitted; 484 isolated); 46, Talisay City (18 admitted; 28 isolated); 36, Minglanilla (eight admitted; 28 isolated); 45, Consolacion (15 admitted; 30 isolated); 29, Negros Oriental (one admitted; 28 isolated); 73, Bohol (seven admitted; 66 isolated), and two in Siquijor (all were isolated).
Two additional Covid-19 deaths were also reported in the region Monday. These included a patient from Cebu City who died last June 12 and another patient from Danao City who died last Aug. 23. Reported deaths referred to confirmed and validated deaths, the DOH 7 said.
As of now, the region has a total of 1,072 Covid-19 deaths.
A total of 17,815 Covid-19 tests were conducted for returning overseas Filipino workers from June 22 to Aug. 24. Of the 355 tests conducted on Aug. 24, 19 yielded positive results while 336 were negative.
Mandaue City police
At the Mandaue City Police Office, only three of the 32 police officers found positive for Covid-19 remain in isolation as the rest have recovered from the respiratory disease.
The three police officers are still in a Cebu City school designated as the isolation center for the Philippine National Police personnel infected with Covid-19.
Col. Jonathan Abella, Mandaue City police chief, said two of the police officers showed no symptoms, while the other exhibited mild symptoms.
He said the visitors to the city police office are still limited to prevent possible Covid-19 spread. (MVI, WBS, KFD)