PH hoists alert level on Korea amid North-South dispute

The government said it is ready to ensure the safety of Filipinos in South Korea, even as it heightened alert over the country amid North Korea's declaration of war.

Alert Level 1 is now hoisted over South Korea, Foreign Affairs department spokesperson Raul Hernandez, adding that evacuation plans are in place should violence escalate.

"We have identified exit points in South Korea. Those who cannot go to the airports in Seoul and Incheon should go to Busan," Hernandez said.

"They will be relocated for eventual repatriation either by plane or ship," he added.

Related story: South Korea leader vows 'strong' retaliation' to North

Around 40,000 Filipinos are estimated to be in South Korea with which North Korea declared a "state of war" Saturday.

Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte, meanwhile, reiterated the government's hope that the conflict will be resolved diplomatically.

She nonetheless noted that Malacanang is focused on making sure that "the preparations that we've put in place will secure our nationals."

"We had the opportunity to give the contingency plan a second look so that the preparations now are benefiting from that look in 2011," Valte said in a Palace briefing.

"So I understand from the Department of Foreign Affairs that they've already contacted the Filipino community leaders in South Korea," she added.

Related story: North Korea names ex-premier back to the post, says KCNA

Evacuation plans for Korea, Valte said, have been improved based on lessons from the conflicts in Libya, Syria and Lebanon.

The officials' statements came at the wake of North Korea's declaration on Saturday that it is in a state of war with its rival South.

Tensions are seen to have risen due to new sanctions the U.S. and China have agreed to impose on North Korea over alleged nuclear weapons plan.

The Philippines has taken a strong stand against North Korea, condemning its reported nuclear tests as violations of international obligations.

Related video: More threats from North Korea

North Korean defectors, now living in South Korea, release balloons carrying propaganda leaflets denouncing North Korea's late leader Kim Jong-Il at Imjingak, near the Demilitarized zone (DMZ) ... more 
North Korean defectors, now living in South Korea, release balloons carrying propaganda leaflets denouncing North Korea's late leader Kim Jong-Il at Imjingak, near the Demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating South and North Korea on December 28, 2011 in Paju, South Korea. less 
1 / 4
Getty Images | Photo By Chung Sung-Jun / Getty Images
Wed, Dec 28, 2011 12:00 PM PHT

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options