Philippine court blocks general's graft plea bargain

The Philippine Supreme Court on Wednesday blocked efforts by a senior general facing massive graft charges to enter a plea bargain which would have let him post bail and walk free in a few years, keeping much of the money.

The court issued an order which temporarily blocks a special anti-graft court from going ahead with the plea bargain deal involving former military comptroller Major General Carlos Garcia.

This will give the Supreme Court time to consider a government petition which asks it to intervene in Garcia's case and possibly to stop the plea bargain, said court spokesman Theodore Te.

The government, which wants tougher punishment for the general as part of a crackdown on official corruption, welcomed the top court's action.

"The issuance of a temporary restraining order against the questioned plea bargain is a welcome development given the position taken by the Philippine government," said President Benigno Aquino's spokeswoman Abigail Valte in a statement.

Garcia is accused of using his post as the military's top finance official to steal as much as 303 million pesos ($6.99 million), allowing his family to amass a real estate fortune in the United States and the Philippines.

The case came to light in 2003 when US customs officials seized 100,000 dollars in undeclared cash from his two sons at San Francisco airport after a commercial flight from the Philippines.

However in a controversial development, a special anti-graft court ruled in May 2011 that Garcia could plead guilty to lesser charges and avoid serious punishment if he just returned 135.43 million pesos.

The now-retired general had previously posted bail on the lesser charges. But he was rearrested in September 2011 for failure to declare assets and for holding US immigrant status while serving in the military.

He is now detained at the national prison on these other charges while the government challenges the plea bargain deal.

He served as military comptroller from 2001 until 2004 and handled UN funds for Filipino troops serving as peacekeepers overseas.

If convicted of the more serious charge of "plunder" or massive graft, he could be jailed for 40 years.

Aquino, who was elected on an anti-graft platform in 2010, has vowed to crack down on corruption in government offices.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • National Geographic 'Afghan girl' in Pakistan papers probe
    National Geographic 'Afghan girl' in Pakistan papers probe

    Pakistani officials are investigating after the famous green-eyed "Afghan girl" immortalised in a 1985 National Geographic magazine cover was found living in the country on fraudulent identity papers. The haunting image of the then 12-year-old Sharbat Gula, taken in a refugee camp by photographer Steve McCurry, became the most famous cover image in the magazine's history. Now Pakistani officials say that Gula applied for a Pakistani identity card in the northwestern city of Peshawar in April …

  • NYC, Orthodox Jews reach deal on circumcision suction ritual
    NYC, Orthodox Jews reach deal on circumcision suction ritual

    NEW YORK (AP) — The city said Tuesday it has reached a tentative agreement with members of the ultra-Orthodox Jewish community over a tradition known as oral suction circumcision. …

  • ‘Noy angered by previous SAF failures to get Marwan’
    ‘Noy angered by previous SAF failures to get Marwan’

    Supt. Raymund Train, who led the SAF team that killed Marwan in Mamasapano, Maguindanao on Jan. 25, recounted in a sworn statement the meeting he and senior SAF officers had with Aquino in Malacañang on Nov. 30. Train said among the senior officers who attended the meeting were then PNP chief Director General Alan Purisima, SAF chief Director Getulio Napeñas, SAF deputy commander Chief Supt. Noli Taliño and intelligence group chief Senior Supt. Fernando Mendez. …

  • Duterte: Disband all armed groups
    Duterte: Disband all armed groups

    All armed groups, including those of the communists and Muslim secessionist groups, should be disbanded for the country to achieve stability, Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said yesterday. Duterte said even the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, the Moro National Liberation Front and the New People’s Army should be asked to lay down their arms once these groups agree to join him in what he described as a unity government if he becomes President in 2016. Duterte said under the federal government that he is …

  • Vatican seeks to quell Mexican anger over pope's drug remark
    Vatican seeks to quell Mexican anger over pope's drug remark

    VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican sought Wednesday to defuse a diplomatic tiff with Mexico after Pope Francis referred to the possible "Mexicanization" of his native Argentina from drug trafficking, the latest instance of Francis' casual speaking style getting him into trouble. …

  • School can’t sack unwed mom – SC
    School can’t sack unwed mom – SC

    The dismissal of an employee of a Catholic school on the grounds of premarital sexual relations and pregnancy out of wedlock was illegal, the Supreme Court (SC) has ruled. In a 23-page decision promulgated on Feb. 17, the third division of the high court struck down the decision of St. Scholastica’s College-Westgrove (SSCW) in Silang, Cavite to dismiss Cheryll Santos Leus for “disgraceful or immoral conduct” in violation of the school’s 1992 Manual of Regulations for Private Schools (MRPS). …

  • Who's your daddy? Hippo ancestry unveiled
    Who's your daddy? Hippo ancestry unveiled

    A great-great grandfather of the hippopotamus likely swam from Asia to Africa some 35 million years ago, long before the arrival of the lion, rhino, zebra and giraffe, researchers said Tuesday. "The origins of the hippopotamus have been a mystery until now," Fabrice Lihoreau, a palaeontologist at France's University of Montpellier and co-author of the study, told AFP. …

  • BOC destroys P50-M smuggled shoes
    BOC destroys P50-M smuggled shoes

    The Bureau of Customs (BOC) destroyed yesterday some P50 million worth of fake footwear products earlier seized in an anti-smuggling drive. The knockoffs of popular brands such as Nike, Adidas, Converse, Skechers, Northface, Leaveland, Merelle, Lacoste, Vans, Havaianas and Ipanema were confiscated from Warehouse 4 in Olivarez Compound, Parañaque City. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options