Philippine massacre witness dismembered: lawyer

A man who testified in court on the Philippines' worst political massacre was found dead "probably chain-sawed to pieces" in a killing meant to silence other witnesses, an official said Friday.

Esmail Amil Enog went missing in March after he spoke in court last year about the alleged role of a powerful political clan in the November 2009 murders of 57 people, prosecutor Nena Santos told AFP.

"The body was put in a sack and it had been chopped up, probably chain-sawed to pieces," Santos said, declining to give further details about when and where the body was found as it might endanger lives.

"If we mention someone he might also end up dead."

Marcelo Pintac, police chief of Maguindanao province where the massacre took place, told AFP Enog was officially reported as missing, but that he was unaware his body had been found.

Enog, an employee of the Ampatuan family of Maguindanao, had told the court that he had driven the clan's armed followers to a site where 57 victims were later abducted.

The victims, including relatives and lawyers of the Ampatuans' local political rival Esmael Mangudadatu as well as 32 journalists and media workers, were later found murdered in a mass grave.

Prosecutors allege the killings were intended to prevent Mangudadatu from challenging an Ampatuan clan member in elections for governor.

The massacre shocked the world and forced then-president Gloria Arroyo to crack down on her former allies, the Ampatuans who had ruled the southern province for decades.

Clan patriarch Andal Ampatuan Snr and several of his sons are among 64 people on trial in Manila for the massacre.

However, about 100 other suspects are still at large, many of them armed followers of the Ampatuans who still retain influence in the area.

Santos said Enog could have identified other suspects in the massacre, adding his death would frighten other potential witnesses.

Human Rights Watch researcher Carlos Conde said Santos's account of the killing fit into the pattern of potential witnesses in the case being intimidated or bribed.

"The murder was intended to send a message, to cause a chilling effect to other witnesses," he told AFP.

Conde said Enog had refused a government offer of protection, which was an indication something was wrong with the state's witness protection programme.

Another witness had already been murdered in 2010 and relatives of other witnesses had also been attacked, he added.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea
    US ambassador recovers from knife attack praised by N. Korea

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was recovering from surgery Thursday after having his face and arm slashed by a knife-wielding activist in an attack applauded by North Korean state media. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which saw the ambassador rushed to hospital where his condition was described as stable after two-and-a-half hours of surgery that included 80 stitches to a deep gash on his right cheek. During the assault, Kim screamed a slogan in favour of …

  • Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl
    Billionaire finds wreck of WWII ship in Phl

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen says he has found the Japanese Navy’s biggest warship at the bottom of the sea in the Philippines, 70 years after US forces sank it. Allen posted a photo on Twitter on Tuesday of the World War II battleship Musashi’s rusty bow, which bore the Japanese empire’s Chrysanthemum seal. The American billionaire, who has also pursued space exploration, said his luxury yacht and exploration ship, the M/Y Octopus, found the Musashi one kilometer (1.6 miles) deep on the …

  • New Moro rebel group emerges
    New Moro rebel group emerges

    A radical Muslim cleric trained in the Middle East and considered one of the leaders of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) has broken away from the terror group to form his own band of jihadists who are now reportedly providing sanctuary to bomb expert Basit Usman and at least five foreign militants, the military said yesterday. Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla, citing reports from the field, said the Justice for Islamic Movement (JIM) was …

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Ohio mom, boyfriend guilty; child emailed teacher for help

    PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (AP) — A woman and her boyfriend pleaded guilty to raping her young children and were sentenced to prison on Wednesday, a year after one of her daughters emailed a teacher for help and said she and her siblings were being chained to their beds, deprived of food and sexually assaulted. …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Miriam bucks house arrest for Enrile
    Miriam bucks house arrest for Enrile

    Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago believes granting Senate Minority Leader Juan Ponce Enrile house arrest, while former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo remains under hospital detention, will violate the equal protection clause of the Constitution. “That’s already a violation of the equal protection of the law,” she said. …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options