MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) on Monday reported 82 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), bringing the country’s total number of infections to 462.
In its latest bulletin, the DOH said the number of fatalities also increased to 33 after recording eight new deaths, while the number of people who recovered from the disease has risen to 18.
The department earlier said that the sudden rise of coronavirus cases in the country is due to the laboratories’ increased testing capacity, conducting between 950 to 1,000 tests per day.
The DOH said the eight latest deaths are all Filipinos, age ranging from 54 to 89, with pre-existing medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and hypertension prior to contracting COVID-19.
The fatalities were identified as patients 281, 266, 279, 304, 328, 333, 367, and 349.
Meanwhile, the latest patient to recover from the disease is a 54-year old Filipino male from Manila who had a travel history to Thailand, and was exposed to known COVID-19 cases.
The DOH said he is hypertensive, and was confirmed to have contracted coronavirus on March 13, a few days after he first manifested symptoms on March 6.
He was discharged on March 21 after testing negative for the virus following treatment.
Since last week, the government has placed the entire Luzon island under enhanced community quarantine to arrest the spread of coronavirus.
The post Philippines’ COVID-19 cases now at 462, with 33 deaths appeared first on UNTV News.