Philippines may allow US bases if Korean tensions escalate

Manila (Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN) - Philippine Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin on Friday raised the possibility of the United States again being allowed to locate military bases in the Philippines if war should break out in the Korean Peninsula.

Gazmin conceded that the Constitution bans the establishment of US bases here.

"But in cases of extreme emergency, there are extreme measures to be undertaken. Maybe this is one of them," he said.

US military presence is an emotionally-charged issue in the Philippines which in 1992 officially ended 93 years of US basing rights in the country when the US flag was lowered and the US Pacific Fleet sailed away from Subic Naval Base.

 








A year before, the Senate had voted not to renew the US leases to Clark Air Force Base and Subic Naval Base, then the two largest US military facilities outside the United States.

Denying US access to military bases was subsequently written into the 1987 Constitution that was drafted after the first Edsa People Power Revolution of 1986.

If war breaks out

Gazmin and other defense department officials believe that could quickly change if North Korea makes good its threat to launch a nuclear attack on South Korea, the US and its allies in the Pacific.

However, Gazmin clarified that the Philippines and the US have not yet discussed the possibility.

Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez explained that in the same way that a war in the Korean Peninsula is being discussed in the context of a world war, so is the possibility of basing US forces in the Philippines.

"If war breaks out, will we recommend to Congress to allow the US to have staging areas here? That's still a question we have to thresh out," Galvez said.

'Rotational' presence

Gazmin pointed out that even in the absence of US military bases, Philippine and US military cooperation can be seen in "exercises and increased rotational presence of American troops here in the area involved in exercises and training."

The 62-year-old Mutual Defense Treaty (MDT) between the Philippines and the US allows an extended stay of US troops in the Philippines.

"But there is a gray area between an actual basing and an extended stay," Galvez said.

He said that in the event of a war, an advanced command post, for example, would need coordination with land, air and naval assets.

"That is all in the MDT," he said.

Galvez also stressed that Gazmin was not superseding the Constitution when the defense secretary broached the possibility of basing US troops in the Philippines should tensions in the Korean Peninsula escalate to a full-blown war.

"A good question to ask the Supreme Court is, will the Constitution hold if a world war breaks out?" he said.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Developers prepare for new rules and regulations
    Developers prepare for new rules and regulations

    Known as the "Subdivision and Condominium Buyers' Protective Decree," Presidential Decree No. 957 issued two sets of revised implementing rules and regulations (IRRs) earlier in 2015. A bill initiated by former President Ferdinand Marcos in 1976, the decree and its most recent amendments were designed to "protect buyers from fraudulent and unscrupulous subdivision and condominium sellers, operators and developers," according to the explanatory note that accompanied the bill in its senate …

  • Pinoys dance for Earth Hour
    Pinoys dance for Earth Hour

    The Philippines once again displayed its support Saturday night for the worldwide observance of Earth Hour by hosting a dance party after turning the lights off from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. to save energy and make a statement on various environmental issues. …

  • Phl offers Sabah to win Malaysia’s support for UN case vs China
    Phl offers Sabah to win Malaysia’s support for UN case vs China

    The Philippines has offered to downgrade its claim on Sabah in exchange for Malaysia’s support for its case against China before the United Nations. …

  • Maysak to enter Phl Wednesday
    Maysak to enter Phl Wednesday

    A typhoon with international name Maysak is expected to enter the Philippine area of responsibility (PAR) on Wednesday and bring rains over Northern Luzon by weekend, the state weather bureau said yesterday. …

  • Nonviolent disciplining of kids pushed

    Child rights advocates called on senators to pass and strongly endorse a law that will institutionalize positive and nonviolent methods of disciplining children.The Child Rights Network (CRN), Plan International Philippines (PIP), Philippine Legislators’ Committee on Population and Development (PLPCD), and Lihok Pilipinas Foundation led the call for the enactment of the Positive Discipline Bill.Several Quezon City Council members led by Majority Floor Leader Jesus Manuel Suntay, Victor Ferrer …

  • Method to their madness

    [caption id="attachment_256768" align="alignright" width="212"] Illustration by Rod Cañalita[/caption] EMMANUEL PORTUGAL Country Manager for the Philippines, VMware I look after the garden. I’d like to think that I have a green thumb—no plants have died so far! The ones I like now that I planted a few months ago is the Blue Iris. Like the town in the movie, my Blue Iris shows up in the morning and only appears for one day. …

  • JGFP Summer Tour on today

    The summer tour for local junior golfers kicks off with the holding of the ICTSI-JGFP Baguio Junior Open today and tomorrow at the treacherous Baguio Country Club course in Baguio.Sixty players aged 6 to 17 years old are entered in the 36-hole tourney serving as the opening leg of the summer circuit organized by the Junior Golf Foundation of the Philippines with the International Container Terminal Services, Inc. Foundation as main sponsor. ... …

  • PH now market ready to absorb infra bonds

    The Philippine market is now ready to absorb infrastructure bonds that will be issued by private companies amid a growing pipeline of infra-related projects under the government’s Public-Private Partnership (PPP) program. President Benigno Aquino III last week said the government is still committed to spend more on the country’s infrastructure, with 16 PPP projects currently on the pipeline and nine that have already been awarded. Over the years, some of the country’s biggest infrastructure …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options