Philippines to revive rare earth elements dev't plan with China

Manila (Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN) - The Philippines will try to revive next month preparations with China for the joint development of rare earth elements (REEs) in the Philippines, according to the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB).

MGB Director Leo Jasareno told reporters that Philippine representatives would fly to Naning, China, on May 8 to discuss Manila's intention to push through with the joint development plan.

Analysts call REEs "strategic minerals" because of they can be used in the development of weapons guidance systems and other space-age technologies.

REEs are abundant in the earth's crust but are called "rare" because they are usually concentrated in quantities too small for commercial mining-something which the Philippines hopes will not be the case here.

The Philippine and Chinese governments are scheduled to discuss and prepare the terms of reference for the REE explorations work, as well as finalise a memorandum of agreement that would provide how, when and where exploration work will be conducted.

The agreement will likewise provide the cost of the exploration work.

Last year, the Philippines' plan to produce REEs was stalled after experts from the China Geological Survey (CGS), a Chinese government-owned entity, did not arrive in the country for the joint exploration programme, This, despite several "reminders" by the MGB.

This came amid a dispute between Manila and Beijing over Panatag Shoal at the West Philippine Sea. Before the dispute, Manila and Beijing were all set to sign a deal to jointly explore for rare earth elements.

Jasareno said MGB had regularly reminded Beijing about the programme. but had yet to receive official reply from its Chinese counterpart.

"We want to open up the topic with CGS. That's why we're going to send representatives," Jasareno said.

In the first quarter of 2013, the MGB started the identification of mining tenements that could be developed into REE exploration sites, notably those close to copper-gold mines.

Jasareno said MGB had already conducted initial inspections in several areas that could be developed into mining sites dedicated to rare earth elements-a major component of electronic equipment and mobile phones.

Palawan and Nueva Vizcaya are among the areas identified as potential sources of REEs.

The MGB earlier said it would spend some 20 million pesos (US$484,600) for the programme.

Earlier reports indicated that the joint Philippine-China exploration for rare earth elements in the country might not push through this year as tensions between the two countries over the Panatag (Scarbourough) Shoal continued.

China, which controls about 97 per cent of global rare-earth supply, has been reducing its export quotas to secure greater control over prices.

The Asian economic powerhouse also said it would further tighten its control over REE production by expanding its export-quota system and imposing higher taxes. Chinese firms found violating export quotas would be sanctioned and slapped with high penalty.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP
    Phl aviation has met int’l safety standards – CAAP

    The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said that the country’s aviation has met international safety standards and is currently being reviewed by the European Union. Members of the EU delegation recently made a courtesy call on CAAP Director General William Hotchkiss III. Beda Badiola, CAAP’s Flight Standards and Inspectorate Service chief, said all air carriers in the country have followed regulations that the agency was able to oversee properly according to standards. “They …

  • Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services
    Absence of full-time PNP chief affecting police services

    Despite the pronouncement of the leadership of the Philippine National Police that it’s business as usual, some basic services are undeniably affected by the absence of a full-time PNP chief, particularly the issuance of gun permits. The PNP had deferred the issuance of permits to carry firearms outside residence (PTCFOR) since Dec. 3, a day before the Office of the Ombudsman slapped a six-month suspension on former PNP chief Director General Alan Purisima, who is facing plunder charges. …

  • Expanded Phl-US war games start today
    Expanded Phl-US war games start today

    The Philippines and the United States will kick off today this year’s Balikatan military exercises amid concerns over China’s reclamation activities in disputed areas in the West Philippine Sea. More than 11,000 Filipino and American troops will join the drills to be held simultaneously in different locations until April 30. …

  • Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online
    Budol-budol, dugo-dugo scams now online

    Authorities warned the public yesterday to be more careful in dealing with people they meet online as the “budol-budol” and “dugo-dugo” gangs have expanded their deceptive operations on social media. Senior Inspector Robert Reyes, assistant chief of the Philippine National Police’s Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) investigation section, said online financial fraud is one of the emerging forms of scams in the country. Reyes said scam operators are looking for prospective victims online through …

  • Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term
    Noy wants next PNP chief to serve beyond his term

    President Aquino is inclined to name a new Philippine National Police (PNP) chief who can serve beyond the 2016 elections. Speaking to reporters at the Tarlac National High School before the weekend, Aquino said he was bewildered by the amended PNP Act that requires all deputies of the PNP chief to serve or stay at least one year in his post. Among the contenders for PNP chief are Deputy Director General Marcelo Garbo Jr., suspended Chief Superintendent Raul Petrasanta and Director Juanito …

  • ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’
    ‘Stronger global action sought on China moves’

    Stronger international action is needed to counter China’s rapid reclamation activities in the West Philippine Sea, Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. said yesterday. Belmonte noted that statements of condemnation from global powers on the continued encroachment of China in the disputed waters have been ineffectual. He added that China’s blatant expansion activities are making the problem not just a regional security problem, but a global one. “China is obviously violating our territory in front …

  • MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks
    MILF refusal to surrender fighters jeopardizing talks

    Leaders of the House of Representatives renewed their call yesterday to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) to surrender its fighters allegedly involved in the killing of 44 police commandos in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez, leader of the House independent bloc, said the continued refusal of MILF leaders to turn over their men is causing the further erosion of support for the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) in Congress. “I hope the MILF …

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options