Philippines' top judge testifies, walks out of trial

The Philippines' top judge denied he was a crook as he testified then dramatically walked out at his own trial Tuesday, denouncing his impeachment as a personal vendetta by President Benigno Aquino.

Aquino, who won a landslide election victory in 2010 on a platform to end corruption, has said driving Supreme Court chief justice Renato Corona from office would be a crucial step in ridding the country of pervasive corruption.

Corona was accused of failing to declare up to $12 million in bank accounts and blocking Aquino's efforts to prosecute former president Gloria Arroyo for corruption.

"I did not steal a single centavo from the government," Corona said during a three-hour testimony at his trial in the Senate, in which the 63-year-old repeatedly broke down.

"I did not violate any law," he said, and later stunned the court by standing up and leaving.

His lawyers later said Corona, a diabetic, felt unwell but assured Senate president Juan Ponce Enrile that he would return to the stand on Wednesday

"We will give him until tomorrow to return. If he will not return for cross-examination, then we'll consider this case submitted for resolution," warned Enrile.

The bulk of Corona's testimony Tuesday sought to discredit Aquino as well as Ombudsman Conchita Morales, who had disclosed documents on the chief justice's alleged 82 bank accounts that prosecutors described as a "smoking gun".

Corona said he had been investing his salary since the start of his career in 1968, but that he has just four dollar and four peso bank accounts.

They held "much less" than $12 million, he said without elaborating.

He accused the prosecutors of fabricating evidence and said he was not under any obligation to disclose the bank deposits in his annual statement of assets and liabilities.

The country's foreign currency deposits law guaranteed their secrecy, he said, adding his peso accounts were "commingled funds" including money owned by relatives.

He also offered to authorise his bankers to submit all his bank accounts to public scrutiny, but only if all the legislators who had impeached him would also sign a similar waiver.

Corona was impeached by the House of Representatives, parliament's lower chamber, in December, sending him for trial in the Senate.

Corona is the last witness in a trial that began in mid-January.

The proceedings have gripped the nation for four months, with millions watching the drama live on TV.

Prosecutors allege Corona lacked integrity, failed to declare his assets properly, and blocked Arroyo's prosecution. They said his actions amounted to "culpable violation" of the constitution and betrayal of public trust.

A guilty verdict on any of the three charges would lead to his removal from office. There is no appeal process and the government would then be able to pursue criminal charges against him over the alleged hidden wealth.

Aquino's allies have said Arroyo planted Corona in the Supreme Court just before leaving office in 2010 as a rearguard action to protect herself from future criminal prosecutions.

After ruling for nearly 10 years, Arroyo was arrested last year and charged with vote-rigging.

Corona alleged Tuesday that his impeachment was a personal vendetta by "the landlord president" following a landmark Supreme Court verdict that would break up Hacienda Luisita, a giant sugar estate owned by the president's clan.

The Supreme Court ruled last year that 4,300 hectares (10,600 acres), or most of the estate, must be subjected to land reform and sold in small parcels to its workers.

The court threw out the clan's appeal last month, leaving the government no choice but to enforce the ruling.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options