• Statements of Binay’s alleged bagman have no value – Trillanes

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    Gerardo Limlingan, the alleged bagman of Vice President Jejomar Binay, can come out with as many statements as he wants through his lawyers, but these would not mean anything in the probe involving the country’s second highest official. Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV said the statement released by Limlingan, the second of which came out yesterday, have no value at all as far as the Senate Blue Ribbon subcommittee investigating the anomalies involving Binay is concerned. Limlingan released a statement through the Yorac Sarmiento Arroyo Chua Coronel Reyes Law Firm, denying allegations he was used as a dummy by Binay’s undeclared business interests. More »Statements of Binay’s alleged bagman have no value – Trillanes

  • US renews travel warning to Mindanao

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    The US State Department renewed its warning about the risks of travel to the Philippines, in particular to the Sulu archipelago, certain regions and cities of Mindanao and the southern Sulu Sea area. In an update on Wednesday of a travel warning it issued Nov. 20, 2014, the State Department said US citizens should continue to defer non-essential travel to the Sulu archipelago due to the high threat of kidnapping of international travelers and violence linked to insurgency and terrorism there. More »US renews travel warning to Mindanao

  • One more dead from extreme heat

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    TUGUEGARAO CITY – One more elderly person was confirmed to have died from heat stroke in Northern Luzon as the heat index continued to rise. More »One more dead from extreme heat

  • Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    The Philippine initiative to put the interests of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) front and center in global and regional trade has made significant progress following the conclusion on Thursday of the 2nd APEC Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM2) and Related Meetings in Boracay, Aklan. Called “The Boracay Action Agenda to Globalize MSMEs,” the Philippine proposal calls for a host of specific, concrete and practical interventions that APEC economies can implement to provide MSMEs wider opportunities to integrate into global or regional trade, either through global value chains or as direct exporters of finished goods and services. In a dialogue on the Green Supply Chain earlier in the week, the Philippines also proposed the adoption of green initiatives by MSMEs and discussed DTI’s Industry Roadmap Initiative which takes into account the pursuit of green growth through environmentally sound processes. More »Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda

  • Japanese deported after 16 years in BI custody

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    After 16 years of being incarcerated, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) finally sent home its longest staying detainee – a 47-year-old Japanese man. BI spokesperson Elaine Tan said Junichi Inoue, who has been detained since 1999, was finally deported last Wednesday. “We are glad to have finally deported him to his native country Japan, considering that the bureau is not in the business of detaining but deporting,” BI Commissioner Siegfred Mison said in a statement. More »Japanese deported after 16 years in BI custody

  • ‘Why wait for SC case vs BBL?’

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    Questions regarding the constitutionality of the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) should be settled by lawmakers now and not by the Supreme Court (SC) after the measure’s approval by Congress, Senators Francis Escudero and Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said yesterday. They were reacting to Malacañang’s statement that senators and other critics of the BBL can always challenge its constitutionality before the SC if ever the measure is passed. “We will push for something we know is wrong from the start and then let the court fix everything?” said Escudero, one of the signatories to the report of the Senate Committee on Constitutional Amendments that cited the need for Charter change to make the proposed BBL constitutionally firm. More »‘Why wait for SC case vs BBL?’

  • GMA poll sabotage trial may last 5 years

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    The trial of former President and now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo for electoral sabotage may drag on beyond the term of President Aquino, a court official said yesterday. The court official, who requested anonymity, told The STAR that the proceedings may last up to five years given the number of witnesses and the tight schedule of both defense lawyers and Commission on Elections (Comelec) prosecutors. Court records show that since the electoral sabotage case was filed in December 2012, out of the more than 50 witnesses, only two have taken the witness stand. More »GMA poll sabotage trial may last 5 years

  • 4 dead in N. Cotabato shootings, knife duel

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    NORTH COTABATO- Four villagers were killed in separate shooting incidents and a knife duel in North Cotabato on Thursday, police said yesterday.  More »4 dead in N. Cotabato shootings, knife duel

  • 6 hurt in Cagayan road mishap

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    TUGUEGARAO CITY – Six persons, including four elderly women, were injured when their van hit a passenger jeepney that pulled over along the national highway in Barangay Magapit in Lallo, Cagayan on Thursday. More »6 hurt in Cagayan road mishap

  • Families reject Kentex apology

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    A daughter of one of the owners of Kentex Manufacturing Corp. apologized yesterday to the families of the victims of the fire that gutted the firm’s slippers factory and killed 72 people in Valenzuela City on May 13. Barbara Ang, eldest daughter of Kentex shareholder Veato Ang, met the victims’ relatives at about 9 a.m. at the assembly hall in Barangay Ugong in Valenzuela City yesterday morning. Ang said that she personally sought forgiveness from the families of the fire victims as part of the company’s moral obligation to the relatives who lost their loved ones during the fire in Barangay Ugong. More »Families reject Kentex apology

  • P165-M anonymous Yolanda donations can’t be tapped

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    As much as P165 million in cash donations for relief and recovery efforts in the aftermath of Super Typhoon Yolanda remain undisbursed because donors failed to identify themselves, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) bared yesterday. About P165 million of the total P1.15 billion in cash donations that were deposited in the bank accounts of the DSWD have yet to be used because of a government regulation requiring the identification and acknowledgment of donors, said DSWD spokesman Javier Jimenez. “If we make a misstep, it could become a COA (Commission on Audit) disallowance,” he said, noting that such disallowances could mean penalties on concerned government officers. More »P165-M anonymous Yolanda donations can’t be tapped

  • Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    The Philippines will join a 15-nation meeting in Bangkok, Thailand next week to address the migration crisis involving thousands of Rohingyas who escaped persecution in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Justice Secretary Leila de Lima bared this yesterday after meeting with United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) representative to the Philippines Bernard Kerblat. In an interview, De Lima said the Philippine government has been invited to the meeting. More »Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week

  • Barge to ferry stranded trucks at Matnog port

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    LEGAZPI CITY—A landing craft tank barge has arrived in Sorsogon to ferry more than 400 cargo trucks stranded at Matnog Port. More »Barge to ferry stranded trucks at Matnog port

  • Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    LEGAZPI CITY—A magnitude 4.2 earthquake hit Prieto Diaz town in Sorsogon before dawn yesterday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said. More »Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon

  • China disappointed over US air patrol

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    China yesterday said it was “strongly dissatisfied” after a US military plane flew over part of the South China Sea near where China is building artificial islands, and called on the United States to stop such action or risk causing an accident. Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said the Chinese military drove away the US aircraft, in accordance with relevant regulations, labeling the US action a security threat to China’s islands and reefs. More »China disappointed over US air patrol

  • House OKs bill on registration of prepaid SIM cards

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    The House of Representatives has approved a bill requiring the registration of all prepaid mobile phone subscriber identify module (SIM) cards. If Bill 5231 becomes a law, it will cover tens of millions of existing and future prepaid mobile phone users. At present, anyone can buy a prepaid SIM card and use it without filling out any form or being asked to present an identification card. More »House OKs bill on registration of prepaid SIM cards

  • Drought-resistant rice breeds bared

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    SCIENCE CITY OF MUÑOZ, Nueva Ecija – Amid the searing heat, the Philippine Rice Research Institute central experiment station here has identified nine rice breeds which have been proven to be drought-resistant and produce high yields in temperatures as high as 38°C based on a recent study. Thelma Padolina, lead researcher of the study titled “Screening of rice-induced mutants for heat and drought tolerance,” identified the breeding lines as the Ballatinaw lines, PSB Rc72H and Azucena lines. The Ballatinaw lines exhibited over 40 percent grain fertility under high temperature conditions and yielded between six to 6.7 tons per hectare during the testing, followed by PSB Rc72H with six to 6.2 tons per hectare and Azucena lines with 2.7 to 4.3 tons per hectare – all better than their original parent stock. More »Drought-resistant rice breeds bared

  • Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    The United States military will continue air and sea patrols in international waters even after the Chinese navy repeatedly warned a US surveillance plane to leave the airspace over artificial islands China is creating in the disputed South China Sea. The Philippine government also declared it would continue activities in the region, calling on China to respect freedom of navigation and aviation. “Our position on the importance of letting freedom of navigation, freedom of aviation and international law prevail in the area we are talking about does not change. More »Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning

  • Cavite cop chief sacked over torture video

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    The chief of police of Carmona, Cavite was removed from his post yesterday after he was caught on video beating up a suspected cell phone snatcher in a detention cell on Jan. 25. Chief Inspector Jigger Noceda was charged with grave misconduct and violation of the anti-torture law along with two of his men, Police Officer 2 Danilo Ang and PO1 Bernard Amadure, said Senior Superintendent Jonnel Estomo, Cavite police director. More »Cavite cop chief sacked over torture video

  • Businessman, partner missing

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    A businessman and his business partner were believed to have been kidnapped after they went missing in January, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said yesterday. Engineer Evan Labonete, 52, and his partner Nicomedes Eguna, 55, were handling government projects including the rehabilitation of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, the NBI said. Labonete and Eguna are owners of Civtric Trading and Services. More »Businessman, partner missing

  • C. Luzon to get 40 new police cars

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    SAN FERNANDO, Pampanga – The Department of the Interior and Local Government has turned over 40 of the 102 police cars allotted for Central Luzon. More »C. Luzon to get 40 new police cars

  • Binay respects Poe’s refusal to run as his VP

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    Vice President Jejomar Binay said he respects Sen. Grace Poe’s pronouncement that she is not interested to be his running mate. In an interview with ABS-CBN Davao on Thursday, Binay said the possibility of Poe becoming his running mate came out when he was asked on various occasions about a possible tandem with her in 2016. “All the names I mentioned (in the media interviews), we consider them all, but I have not yet selected (a running mate),” he explained. More »Binay respects Poe’s refusal to run as his VP

  • MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    Electricity and mobile phone services would be cut throughout Metro Manila, and all private and government offices and businesses, including shopping malls, would be closed. That would be the situation on July 16 between 3 and 8 p.m. to simulate the scenario of a 7.2 magnitude earthquake. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has warned that an earthquake of that magnitude could occur and kill at least 33,500 people and injure at least 113,600 others following a movement in the West Valley Fault. More »MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned

  • Court enters not guilty plea for Puentevella

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    Former congressman and now Bacolod City Mayor Monico Puentevella was arraigned for graft at the Sandiganbayan yesterday over the alleged anomalous purchase of computers and software.  Puentevella, former Department of Education director for Western Visayas Victoriano Tirol Jr. and Jessie Garcia, president of Merryland Publishing – the supplier of the computer packages – were indicted in October 2013 for the P26-million project for public elementary and high schools in Bacolod City. The project was funded out of Puentevella’s  Priority Development Assistance Fund from 2002 to 2007. More »Court enters not guilty plea for Puentevella

  • Fishing vessels seized in Sorsogon, Negros

    Philippine Star - 10 hours ago

    LEGAZPI CITY- Two fishing vessels with 41 crewmembers were seized for illegal fishing after a five-hour chase in the waters of Pilar, Sorsogon at dawn on Thursday. More »Fishing vessels seized in Sorsogon, Negros

Pagination

(1000 stories)