More Philippines News

VIEW:
  • CBCP exec backs house arrest for JPE

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    Senate Minority Leader Juan Ponce Enrile should be allowed house arrest since he is already 91 years old and suffering from pneumonia. “For humanitarian reasons, place him simply under house arrest,” Castro said. “I think detainees who are very old and sickly should be simply placed under house arrest. Detained Sen. Jinggoy Estrada said yesterday no birthday party was held for Enrile at the Philippine National Police General Hospital in Camp Crame last month. More »CBCP exec backs house arrest for JPE

  • Phl among best countries for women workers

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    The Philippines is one of the four best countries in the world for women, according to an annual gender equality index revealed on Friday. The MasterCard Worldwide Index of Women’s Advancement  ranked New Zealand, Australia, the Philippines and Singapore as the best countries for women, while India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka performed the worst. Women in the Asia Pacific region lag behind men in securing leadership roles in business and politics despite being better educated, the index showed. More »Phl among best countries for women workers

  • ‘No loyalty check among MILF men’

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    The Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) was not conducting a loyalty check when many of its members converged in several villages in South Cotabato, raising worries among some officials, the rebel group’s chairman Ghadzali Jaafar said yesterday. “We don’t need to subject our men to loyalty check because we are sure of their loyalty. The presence of a large number of MILF guerrillas in the villages of Datal Bob and Salome in T’boli town last week had alarmed security forces and provincial officials. More »‘No loyalty check among MILF men’

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. More »Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

  • Senate OKs Noy powers to address blackouts

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    The Senate yesterday approved a resolution giving President Aquino special powers to address the expected power shortage in the summer months of this year. Senators also approved Senate Bill 2622, which seeks to amend a provision of the Biofuels Act in relation to the joint resolution. The Senate and the House of Representatives will hold a bicameral conference committee hearing today to reconcile their respective versions of the resolution. Instead of leasing generator sets (gensets), the Senate-approved joint resolution called for several alternatives, including the harnessing of the Interruptible Load Program (ILP). More »Senate OKs Noy powers to address blackouts

  • Oil firms cut diesel prices

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    Local petroleum players yesterday announced a rollback in the prices of diesel but would increase gasoline rates effective today. Leading the announcement was Pilipinas Shell Petroleum Corp., ollowed by Petron Corp. and independent players Seaoil Philippines, PTT Philippines, Phoenix Petroleum and Eastern Petroleum. The oil firms said they are cutting the price of diesel by 40 centavos per liter while gasoline rates would be raised by 15 centavos per liter. The petroleum players said the adjustments would reflect the movement in the prices of refined petroleum products in the world market. More »Oil firms cut diesel prices

  • Phl may seek int’l aid to address climate change

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    The Philippines may tap foreign funding to help address the effects of climate change, especially in vulnerable areas, as the Department of Budget and Management has released P1.15 billion to the Department of Public Works and Highways to boost infrastructure projects in areas affected by Super Typhoon Yolanda. “We are still in the process of (rehabilitation) and reconstruction. We need all the support that we can get… any support that will be offered will be welcomed,” Climate Change Commission Secretary Mary Ann Lucille Sering said in a press briefing yesterday. Sering said the 50-million euros in loan facility offered by French President Francois Hollande was welcome but it would have to be studied “closely and carefully” to ensure it would not affect ongoing negotiations. More »Phl may seek int’l aid to address climate change

  • More troops boost Davao’s anti-rebel campaign

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    At least 120 Army soldiers have been deployed to the Davao region to augment the government’s campaign against communist rebels, an Army official said yesterday. More »More troops boost Davao’s anti-rebel campaign

  • No warrant yet for suspects in Enzo slay

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    The Quezon City courts handling the cases filed in connection with the shooting of international race car driver Ferdinand “Enzo” Pastor have yet to issue arrest warrants. Staff at the Regional Trial Court Branch 85, where the murder case against businessman Domingo “Sandy” de Guzman III was filed, said yesterday that the suspect filed a motion for determination of probable cause. The arrest warrant would only be issued if Judge Luisito Cortez rules that there is probable cause to proceed with the trial. Meanwhile, staff at the Regional Trial Court Branch 91 said court records on the parricide case against Pastor’s widow, Dahlia Guerrero-Pastor, are still with Judge Lita Tolentino-Genilo. More »No warrant yet for suspects in Enzo slay

  • Palace: Noy need not apologize for Mamasapano blunder

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    Malacañang believes President Aquino need not apologize for the bungled police operation that left 44 commandos dead in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. Speaking to reporters, presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said Aquino’s instructions to then suspended Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Alan Purisima and then Special Action Force commander Director Getulio Napeñas to coordinate with the military have not been complied with. More »Palace: Noy need not apologize for Mamasapano blunder

  • Days longer than nights this month

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    Days will start to become longer than nights after the vernal equinox, which will happen on March 21, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said yesterday. PAGASA said the sun will reach the vernal equinox at 6:45 a.m. on March 21, marking the beginning of spring in the northern hemisphere and autumn in the southern hemisphere. “On the day of the equinox, night and day are about the same length at every location on earth,” according to PAGASA. PAGASA said after the vernal equinox, daylight hours will be longer. More »Days longer than nights this month

  • DepEd: Keep graduation rites simple

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    The Department of Education (DepEd) has reminded school officials to keep graduation ceremonies simple but meaningful. More »DepEd: Keep graduation rites simple

  • Senate BBL panel head won’t commit to June OK

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    Congressional leaders believe they can meet their target for approving the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), except for Sen. Ferdinand Marcos Jr., who leads the Senate panel deliberating on the controversial measure. Marcos, chairman of the committee on local government, said it would be difficult to have the measure approved before June 11 this year or when the second regular session of Congress adjourns. Marcos suspended the hearings on the BBL after the Jan. 25 clash in Mamasapano, Maguindanao that left 44 members of the Special Action Force dead at the hands of guerrillas of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters. Senate President Franklin Drilon has urged Marcos to resume the hearings on the BBL now that the Senate committee on public order and dangerous drugs has concluded its own hearings on the Mamasapano clash. More »Senate BBL panel head won’t commit to June OK

  • Number of Filipinos suffering from gout hits 1.6 M

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    The Philippine Rheumatology Association (PRA) expressed concern over the rising number of Filipinos suffering from gout, a painful form of arthritis that could gravely affect a person’s quality of life. According to PRA president Eric Amante, there are now some 1.6 million Filipinos with gout and the figure is expected to increase in the coming years due to the unhealthy lifestyle of people. We have a lot of young breadwinners who have gout and I think it is very important to remember that this is a chronic illness,” he said during the launch of the PRA Gout Awareness Campaign. During gout attacks, pain is extreme. More »Number of Filipinos suffering from gout hits 1.6 M

  • Lawmakers split on tax exemption for Pacquiao

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    Colleagues of boxing champion Manny Pacquiao at the House of Representatives backed yesterday a proposal to exempt his earnings from his May 2 fight with American Floyd Mayweather from income tax. Internal Revenue Commissioner Kim Henares has urged Pacquiao to promptly pay taxes on his May 2 earnings, which are projected to reach at least $120 million (more than P5.2 billion). More »Lawmakers split on tax exemption for Pacquiao

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, 2015, 8 p.m.,” the prosecution said. More »No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

  • Port congestion resolved – Palace

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    Manila’s port congestion has been resolved, Malacañang said yesterday, noting the various measures that the government and the private sector have implemented to address the problem. “There was a time that the ports and all the container yards were flooded with empty containers. As of the end of February 2015, this is no longer the situation,” Secretary to the Cabinet Jose Rene Almendras said in a statement. Almendras said the combined efforts of the Cabinet Cluster on Port Decongestion, the Technical Working Group of various agencies and cooperation from the private sector helped normalize operations at the Port of Manila. More »Port congestion resolved – Palace

  • Worker claims lotto jackpot

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    A government worker from Leyte, who became the first millionaire of the new 6/58 Ultra Lotto game, has claimed the P50-million jackpot, the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) said yesterday. More »Worker claims lotto jackpot

  • Davao City hikes reward for drug tipsters

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    The city government of Davao is offering a P20,000 reward for anyone who can provide information leading to the arrest of illegal drug traffickers and users. The reward used to be only P5,000, but Mayor Rodrigo Duterte decided to increase it to P20,000 to convince more informants to come forward. In a recent visit to Iloilo, students of the Western Visayas State College asked Duterte how he handled the drug problem in his city. More »Davao City hikes reward for drug tipsters

  • Ampatuan witness charged over fake ID

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    A witness for Maguindanao massacre suspect Andal Ampatuan Jr. is facing charges for using a falsified identification card to enter the jail facility where the trial for the multiple murder case is being held. Lawyers Nena Santos and Maria Gemma Oquendo, private prosecutors in the Maguindanao massacre trial, lodged charges yesterday against defense witness Nickardo Uy Malang for using a Department of Interior and Local Government ID that identified him as a barangay secretary. More »Ampatuan witness charged over fake ID

  • Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    Filipinos aspiring to work overseas should avoid dealing with a recruitment agency that has duped jobseekers worldwide, Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said yesterday. The National Bureau of Investigation has padlocked Global Visas Inc., which is based in Cebu. Baldoz said the agency’s parent company, ICS Global Visas Inc. based in the United Kingdom, has reportedly collapsed and left thousands of applicants without jobs.  “Global Visas was in the limelight this week, following its reported collapse. More »Recruitment firm accused of worldwide scam

  • Palace on passage of BBL: Now or never

    Philippine Star - 7 hours ago

    Malacañang believes the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) will not be approved in the next administration. Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda made this clear yesterday as he rejected calls for the crafting of an alternative to the BBL that can be left for the next administration to tackle. President Aquino wants Congress to pass the controversial measure before his July 27 State of the Nation Address, the last of his term. The Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), which is negotiating peace with the government, also wants the BBL approved as soon as possible – and without changes. More »Palace on passage of BBL: Now or never

  • Drug suspect slain in Batangas shootout

    Philippine Star - 23 hours ago

    CAMP VICENTE LIM, Laguna – A suspected drug trafficker was killed while another was arrested following a shootout with police officers in San Pascual town, Batangas, Friday. More »Drug suspect slain in Batangas shootout

  • Lineman electrocuted on Laguna bay barge

    Philippine Star - 23 hours ago

    LAGUNA – A lineman died while two others were injured after they were electrocuted as they were working on a power barge of the National Grid Corp. of the Philippines in Bay town here Saturday. More »Lineman electrocuted on Laguna bay barge

  • ‘Scrap tax on raw sugar’

    Philippine Star - 23 hours ago

    Some 1,000 agrarian reform beneficiaries (ARBs), who are members of 12 farmer cooperatives in Negros Occidental, held a rally in front of the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) office in Bacolod City last Friday to call for the scrapping of the one percent tax on raw sugar. The ARBs blamed Revenue Regulation 11-2014 for the delay in the release and non-buying of their sugar from the mills for four weeks now. The regulation imposes a one-percent withholding tax on raw sugar. Arco said some of them were not able to pay for the hauling of their sugarcane due to BIR’s imposition of taxes on raw sugar. More »‘Scrap tax on raw sugar’

Pagination

(1000 stories)