PHL payments position registers shortfall in Aug. – Bangko Sentral

The Philippine balance of payments (BOP) registered a shortfall in August largely on declining gold prices, Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas said Thursday.

Central bank data showed a $318-million BOP deficit last month, the first gap on record since February when the position reflected a $960-million deficiency.

The August payments position pulled the eight-month tally to $3.359 billion, down 33.87 percent year- on-year.

In a text message Thursday, Bangko Sentral Deputy Governor Diwa Guinigundo said the shortfall in August was “due to gold monetization and revaluation of gold.”

Since hitting a record high in 2011, gold prices have declined by 30 percent as of

August.

Volatility in financial markets caused by bets the US Federal Reserve will taper its $85-billion bond purchases further weighed on the precious metal – which suffered from profit-taking since 2012 as investors chased other investments.

With gold prices on the weak side, the central bank opted to sell some of its holdings, listed Security Bank Corporation's economist Patrick Ella said in a phone interview.

“This simply means that they sold off some gold,” he said.

BOP is the summary of transactions between the Philippines and the rest of the world. A surplus means Philippine gained more money in its external dealings,

beefing up its ability to pay-off foreign obligations.

A surplus in the BOP builds up the foreign exchange reserve, which cushions external shocks. Bangko Sentral is targeting a $4.4-billion surplus this year.

“We remain confident [that] we will hit our target BOP position of more than $4 billion,” Guinigundo said.

Ella said hitting the target is not a problem, citing the Fed decision to keep its massive stimulus program intact, which drove portfolio investments back to emerging markets like the Philippines, as well as strong structural inflows – specially remittances.

“I don't think that there will be a reason for a BOP deficit this year. We will definitely see a region-wide reversal,” he said. – VS, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines
    US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in Philippines

    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said Wednesday he had found one of Japan's biggest and most famous battleships on a Philippine seabed, some 70 years after American forces sank it during World War II. Excited historians likened the discovery, if verified, to finding the Titanic, as they hailed the American billionaire for his high-tech mission that apparently succeeded after so many failed search attempts by others. Allen posted photos and video online of parts of what he said was the …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • US ambassador slashed and bloodied in Seoul attack
    US ambassador slashed and bloodied in Seoul attack

    The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was slashed on his face and arm in Seoul on Thursday by a blade-wielding assailant opposed to ongoing US-Korean military drills. The United States condemned the "act of violence" which left the ambassador bleeding profusely as he was rushed to hospital, and said that President Barack Obama had spoken with him. Witnesses described how a man with a blade concealed in his right hand had lunged across a table at Lippert at a breakfast function at …

  • World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too
    World's oldest person wonders about secret to longevity too

    TOKYO (AP) — The world's oldest person says 117 years doesn't seem like such a long time. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

  • Pacquiao big hit so far in Vegas sports books vs Mayweather

    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Manny Pacquiao has always believed he can do what 47 other fighters before him have failed to do — beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the ring. …

  • Another source of SAF execution video identified
    Another source of SAF execution video identified

    The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still tracing the source of the video showing one of the wounded police commandos being finished off by Muslim rebels during the encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A source from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said they have identified two persons who first uploaded the video that went viral over social networking sites. The supposed source of the video was elusive and claimed that somebody just placed it on an external drive. The …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options