MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday confirmed that it has recorded three more cases of polio in the country.
The DOH said the three new cases were all from Mindanao – a 2-year old girl from Maguindanao, a 1-year old boy from Cotabato and a 4-year old girl from North Cotabato.
The three patients were admitted to the Cotabato Regional Medical Center.
The DOH said samples from the three cases were sent to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine and the National Institute of Infectious Diseases in Japan.
The results of the test came out positive for poliovirus.
Two of the patients were not vaccinated for polio, while the other one received incomplete doses, the department added.
With the confirmation of three new cases, the total number of polio cases in the country this year has climbed to seven.
“It is unacceptable that more children are falling victim to this vaccine-preventable disease. We are more determined than ever to make sure that no child shall be missed during the next round of the Sabayang Patak Kontra Polio in Metro Manila and Mindanao,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said in a statement.
“We should not be satisfied with our children receiving only 1 or 2 doses of the polio vaccine. Let us ensure that they receive the complete doses of the vaccine to fully protect them from Polio,” he added.
The Health chief also renewed its call to parents and caregivers to have their children immunized to protect them against polio and other diseases.
“We are reiterating to all parents and caregivers to have their 0-59 months children immunized with the polio vaccine from November 25 to December 7,” he said.
The DOH previously conducted a series of vaccination against polio in Metro Manila, Davao del Sur, and Lanao del Sur.
In September, the department confirmed the re-emergence of the disease in the Philippines 19 years after it was declared polio-free by the World Health Organization.