Pinoys unable to access Phivolcs earthquake report

For nearly an hour after an earthquake struck parts of Luzon including Metro Manila at 1:15 a.m. Tuesday, Filipinos had near silence from government about what happend.

Only at 2:15 a.m. was the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) able to send out via its Twitter account the full details of the magnitude 5.9 earthquake with its epicenter off the coast of Iba, Zambales.

The Philippine Institute of Vulcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) first reported at 1:31 a.m. on Tuesday that it was a magnitude 6.2 earthquake that jolted parts of Luzon, including Metro Manila. But the bulletin could not be accessed.

GMA News Online repeatedly tried to access the Phivolcs webpage while much of Luzon was still being jolted by aftershocks, but the attempts kept timing out.

The news desk of GMA’s TV news department was able to reach Phivolcs by phone at 1:35 a.m., and was given only preliminary information about the intensity of the quake as it was felt in Quezon City. No further details were given by Phivolcs.

GMA News tweeted the preliminary word from Phivolcs at 1:35 a.m. Prior to that GMA News also tweeted about the quake at 1:26 a.m. citing the Global Seismic Monitor as the source.

The United States Geological Service (USGS) was the source of nearly all the initial reports about the quake. John Bellini of the USGS said in an email to GMA News Online that they posted a bulletin at 1:35 a.m. (Manila Time) or 20 minutes after the quake struck.

GMA News tweeted the link to the USGS post at 1:37 a.m.

Phivolcs claimed it issued its first bulletin at 1:31 a.m., or 16 minutes after the quake hit. Apparently, even the DOST had difficulty accessing the Phivolcs website as it was able to tweet the link to official government bulletin only at 2:15 a.m.


For the latest Philippine news stories and videos, visit GMANews.TV

GMA News sent via Twitter, the link to the Phivolcs bulletin at 2:18 a.m.

As of this posting, the Phivolcs web team could not be reached for comment.


Filipinos turn to Twitter

While Luzon shook with aftershocks within the hour after the quake struck, Filipinos flooded the Twitterverse with messages filling the void left by Phivolcs and DOST.

[View the story "Twittizens lead reportage of Manila quake" on Storify]

Technical difficulties?

In a telephone interview with GMA News Online late Wednesday, Phivolcs Science Research Specialist Henry Peñarubia confirmed that the first earthquake bulletin came out at 1:31 a.m., roughly 15 minutes after the quake hit, initially reporting a magnitude 6.2 earthquake.

Phivolcs has since updated their report, which is now aligned with the USGS report pinning the magnitude at 5.9.

According to Peñarubia, it takes roughly 5 minutes after an earthquake for Phivolcs to manually plot an earthquake and come up with a bulletin.

Asked why the bulletin was inaccessible on the Phivolcs website for nearly an hour, he said the Phivolcs web team should answer the question.

GMA News Only tried to contact the web team but no one answered anymore.

Once data from stations in the vicinity of the epicenter have been fed into Philvolcs earthquake plotter software, a bulletin is drafted and sent to the director, key personnel and field correspondents of the agency before it is posted on the website, said Peñarubia.

Peñarubia added that Phivolcs receives real-time information from its 65 seismic stations.

However, he explained that recently Phivolcs has been experiencing setbacks because of their transition to a new satellite.

He said that the transition from the old Agila satellite system — which expires this year — to the new Korean system began only last month or early this July and is expected to be completed next October. “[By October], it’s gonna be back to normal," he added.

Currently, only three monitoring stations have been reset to the new satellite system.

Peñarubia, however, said that Phivolcs has back up stations in place should a huge earthquake hit the country or if the main station in Metro Manila goes offline.

“[There are] mirror stations in Tagaytay and Davao that receive the same data the main office gets," he said.

However, the mirror stations’ ability to take over the main station’s role in the event of a disaster or a power outage is unsure. “Testing [of the mirror stations], nangyari na pero not yet in practice," he added. — With a report by Timothy James Dimacali/VS, GMA News

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options