Aquino to oversee search-and-rescue operations

(UPDATE 8) President Benigno Aquino III will be staying in Masbate to oversee search and rescue operations for Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo and two pilots whose Piper Seneca light plane crashed just short of land on Saturday.

This was announced late Sunday over the President's official Twitter account. Aquino flew into Masbate early Sunday and presided over a command conference at the command post at Lasala Beach Resort there.

Aircraft and divers searching for Robredo and the pilots were called off late Sunday but boats scouring the area will continue operations. Aside from being a member of the Aquino Cabinet, Robredo is also executive vice president of the administration Liberal Party.

Transportation Secretary Manuel Roxas II, in a press briefing, said it was getting too dark to keep searching and underwater currents were too strong for divers. Rescuers are not giving up, however. "This is still a search and rescue operation," he stressed.

Surface search will continue throughout the night and will be assisted by a towed sonar array, he said.
In an update tweeted late Saturday, Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda quoted Roxas who said that one of the last divers saw a metallic object with lettering at a depth of 150 feet.

Rescuers are focusing their search on an area 5 kilometers by 2 kilometers, with depths ranging from "30 meters to around 300 feet (91.44 meters)", he said. On his Twitter account, Roxas announced that divers will dive to around 250-300 feet on Monday. He said equipment and a decompression chamber from the Philippine Coast Guard will be ready for deeper dives.

Roxas had earlier called for help in acquiring trimix, a mixture of oxygen, helium, and nitrogen, but he later reported they had "found and arranged helium in Cebu, double tanks and mixer compressor in Manila and means to airlift here."

Earlier Sunday afternoon, divers recovered flight plans and a passenger manifest more than 100 feet underwater late Sunday.

"1st more definitive sign of location. Cc of flight plan recovered by divers on seabed 100+ ft," he tweeted. "Diver hu found flt pln confirms it was at 150 ft alongside 'tracks' on sea bed along North-South heading."
This discovery followed after rescuers also recovered parts of the plane's wing.

Search and rescue helicopters were deployed along Ticao island and the coast of Masbate island Sunday afternoon as the search for Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo continued.


Roxas said on his Twitter account that divers have also been deployed to investigate "some trace signals of disturbance on sea floor of indeterminate origin indicated by sonar."
 
National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council executive director Benito Ramos had earlier said over radio dzBB that sonar deployed at the crash site detected an object less than a kilometer off Masbate island.

Debris found

A piece of the plane carrying Robredo was recovered earlier, a photo taken by a government official showed.

Secretary Roxas posted a photo on his Twitter account, noting that "[the] debris -- appears to be right wing. Nmbrs are part of aircraft designation rpc-4431."

Search and rescue operations resumed early Sunday, with more help coming from a team from the Americans, officials said. Assets from the Philippine Navy, Philippine Coast Guard, and Philippine National Police are conducting the search alongside local fishing boats.

"Search area has depths of 40 to 87 mtrs. Human scuba can only do 10 min at 40 mtrs before nitro narcosis," added Roxas who is now the designated spokesperson on the search and rescue operations.

According to Aquino's official Facebook page, the sonar vessel deployed at the crash site detects "any underwater metal object. This Sonar gear is from Electronic Geophysical Survey (EGS) Philippines."

President Benigno Aquino III flew in Sunday morning on an Air Force C-130 plane to check on operations.

With him were Roxas, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, and Cavite Representative Jun Abaya, the Palace said.

According to Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda, the search continued throughout Saturday night.

The Palace also announced that a vigil for Robredo's rescue  will resume at 3 p.m. Sunday at La Salle Greenhills.  A mass will be held at 5 p.m. Both will be open to the public.

Meanwhile, Robredo's daughter Aika Robredo is asking for prayers for her missing dad. "Asking for prayers and a miracle. Have never wanted/prayed for something this badly before. Please continue to pray," her recent tweet said.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • China ignores global outcry vs reclamation
    China ignores global outcry vs reclamation

    On Wednesday, G-7 foreign ministers issued a Declaration on Maritime Security expressing alarm over “unilateral actions, such as large scale land reclamation, which change the status quo and increase tensions” in the region. In their communiqué, which did not specifically mention China, the ministers expressed belief that reclamation activities were meant to “change the status quo” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, through which 40 percent of global trade passes. …

  • Project NOAH exec receives recognition
    Project NOAH exec receives recognition

    Project NOAH executive director and University of the Philippines professor Mahar Lagmay recently received recognition from the European Geosciences Union (EGU) for his work in disaster risk reduction and mitigation in the Philippines. …

  • Nightclub ban for US troops
    Nightclub ban for US troops

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said yesterday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipino he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow the 10-day annual military exercises, according to Capt. Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

  • US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow
    US-Phl war games to start under China’s shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will kick off tomorrow expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening  defense alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China’s increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Palace defends legal tack in sea row
    Palace defends legal tack in sea row

    There is nothing weak about taking the legal and diplomatic approach to push for the country’s claims in the disputed West Philippine Sea, Malacañang maintained yesterday. On Friday, Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares led a rally in front of the Chinese consulate in Makati City to protest China’s massive reclamation activities in the Spratly island group to fortify its presence in the disputed waters. Colmenares also criticized the Philippine government for supposedly not doing enough to defend …

  • Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death
    Veloso sons urge authorities to save mother from death

    The sons of Mary Jane Veloso, who is facing execution in Indonesia for drug smuggling, yesterday appealed to government officials to do everything to spare their mother from death. “We love you,” Mark Daniel, 12, said when asked for a message for his mother following a press conference at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. Mark Daniel, an incoming Grade 8 student, reiterated his appeal to those in power to help save his mother from death. His younger brother, …

  • US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow
    US-Philippines wargames to start under China's shadow

    Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers on Monday will kick off expanded wargames, showcasing a deepening defence alliance as alarm bells ring over China. The 10-day exercises in the Philippines are an annual affair between the longtime allies, but this time they will involve double the number of soldiers as last year in a sign of their expanding military partnership. The Philippines is seeking more US military and diplomatic support to fend off China's increasing forcefulness in its bid …

  • Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial
    Bar ban for US troops in Philippines amid murder trial

    The US Pacific Command has banned its troops in the Philippines from bars and nightclubs, a spokesman said Saturday, with the trial under way of a US Marine accused of murdering a transgender Filipina he met in a bar. Thousands of American and Filipino soldiers will on Monday kick off 10-day annual military excercises, according to Captain Alex Lim, a spokesman for the US forces, but there will be strict controls on their free time. Lim would not say why the restrictions were imposed but …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options