Aquino to oversee search-and-rescue operations

(UPDATE 8) President Benigno Aquino III will be staying in Masbate to oversee search and rescue operations for Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo and two pilots whose Piper Seneca light plane crashed just short of land on Saturday.

This was announced late Sunday over the President's official Twitter account. Aquino flew into Masbate early Sunday and presided over a command conference at the command post at Lasala Beach Resort there.

Aircraft and divers searching for Robredo and the pilots were called off late Sunday but boats scouring the area will continue operations. Aside from being a member of the Aquino Cabinet, Robredo is also executive vice president of the administration Liberal Party.

Transportation Secretary Manuel Roxas II, in a press briefing, said it was getting too dark to keep searching and underwater currents were too strong for divers. Rescuers are not giving up, however. "This is still a search and rescue operation," he stressed.

Surface search will continue throughout the night and will be assisted by a towed sonar array, he said.
In an update tweeted late Saturday, Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda quoted Roxas who said that one of the last divers saw a metallic object with lettering at a depth of 150 feet.

Rescuers are focusing their search on an area 5 kilometers by 2 kilometers, with depths ranging from "30 meters to around 300 feet (91.44 meters)", he said. On his Twitter account, Roxas announced that divers will dive to around 250-300 feet on Monday. He said equipment and a decompression chamber from the Philippine Coast Guard will be ready for deeper dives.

Roxas had earlier called for help in acquiring trimix, a mixture of oxygen, helium, and nitrogen, but he later reported they had "found and arranged helium in Cebu, double tanks and mixer compressor in Manila and means to airlift here."

Earlier Sunday afternoon, divers recovered flight plans and a passenger manifest more than 100 feet underwater late Sunday.

"1st more definitive sign of location. Cc of flight plan recovered by divers on seabed 100+ ft," he tweeted. "Diver hu found flt pln confirms it was at 150 ft alongside 'tracks' on sea bed along North-South heading."
This discovery followed after rescuers also recovered parts of the plane's wing.

Search and rescue helicopters were deployed along Ticao island and the coast of Masbate island Sunday afternoon as the search for Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo continued.


Roxas said on his Twitter account that divers have also been deployed to investigate "some trace signals of disturbance on sea floor of indeterminate origin indicated by sonar."
 
National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council executive director Benito Ramos had earlier said over radio dzBB that sonar deployed at the crash site detected an object less than a kilometer off Masbate island.

Debris found

A piece of the plane carrying Robredo was recovered earlier, a photo taken by a government official showed.

Secretary Roxas posted a photo on his Twitter account, noting that "[the] debris -- appears to be right wing. Nmbrs are part of aircraft designation rpc-4431."

Search and rescue operations resumed early Sunday, with more help coming from a team from the Americans, officials said. Assets from the Philippine Navy, Philippine Coast Guard, and Philippine National Police are conducting the search alongside local fishing boats.

"Search area has depths of 40 to 87 mtrs. Human scuba can only do 10 min at 40 mtrs before nitro narcosis," added Roxas who is now the designated spokesperson on the search and rescue operations.

According to Aquino's official Facebook page, the sonar vessel deployed at the crash site detects "any underwater metal object. This Sonar gear is from Electronic Geophysical Survey (EGS) Philippines."

President Benigno Aquino III flew in Sunday morning on an Air Force C-130 plane to check on operations.

With him were Roxas, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, and Cavite Representative Jun Abaya, the Palace said.

According to Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda, the search continued throughout Saturday night.

The Palace also announced that a vigil for Robredo's rescue  will resume at 3 p.m. Sunday at La Salle Greenhills.  A mass will be held at 5 p.m. Both will be open to the public.

Meanwhile, Robredo's daughter Aika Robredo is asking for prayers for her missing dad. "Asking for prayers and a miracle. Have never wanted/prayed for something this badly before. Please continue to pray," her recent tweet said.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires
    Sy moves up, Villar enters Forbes list of billionaires

    Eleven Filipinos are included in Forbes’ 2015 list of richest people in the world. Filipino-Chinese tycoon Henry Sy Sr. continues to be the wealthiest man in the Philippines. The 90-year-old SM supermalls, banking and property tycoon ranked 73rd among the world’s richest with an increased net worth of $14.2 billion from $11.4 billion last year. Sy’s net worth was attributed to the continued growth of his SM Investments Corp. and his more recent venture, the City of Dreams Manila resort and …

  • Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit
    Jolo apologizes to Bong in visit

    Cavite Vice Gov. Jolo Revilla wept and embraced his father as he apologized for the “accidental” shooting incident in their Ayala Alabang residence, the family’s spokesman said yesterday. Lawyer Raymund Fortun came out of the private room at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City to speak to reporters, who were barred from entering the hospital compound during the visit of Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. …

  • No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors
    No need for Revilla to visit son – prosecutors

    Instead of filing an opposition, ombudsman prosecutors filed a manifestation yesterday expressing belief that there is no urgent need for Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to visit his son at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center. “Based on the clinical abstract issued by the Asian Hospital on patient (Cavite) Vice-governor (Jolo) Revilla, which was submitted by accused Revilla in support of his Urgent Motion, Vice-governor Revilla is in stable condition and has stable vital signs, as of March 1, …

  • N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills
    N. Korea fires missiles in anger at South-US military drills

    North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea and vowed "merciless" retaliation Monday as the US and South Korea kicked off joint military drills denounced by Pyongyang as recklessly confrontational. The annual exercises always trigger a surge in military tensions and warlike rhetoric on the divided peninsula, and analysts saw the North's missile tests as a prelude to a concerted campaign of sabre-rattling. "If there is a particularly sharp escalation, we could see the …

  • Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano
    Troops overrun BIFF bomb-making facility in Mamasapano

    Government troops captured Sunday a bomb and weapons factory of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) announced yesterday. Col. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesman, said the captured bomb and weapons factory is located inside an area controlled by radical Muslim cleric Ustadz Mohammad Ali Tambako at Barangay Dasikil in Mamasapano. …

  • Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together
    Couple married 67 years holds hands in final hours together

    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — After spending 67 years together as devoted husband and wife, there was no question how Floyd and Violet Hartwig would end their lives — together. …

  • How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say
    How Islamic is Islamic State group? Not very, experts say

    CAIRO (AP) — Three British schoolgirls believed to have gone to Syria to become "jihadi" brides. Three young men charged in New York with plotting to join the Islamic State group and carry out attacks on American soil. A masked, knife-wielding militant from London who is the face of terror in videos showing Western hostages beheaded. …

  • Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
    Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media

    By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options