‘PLB’ To Replace ‘STL,’ Says PCSO

MANILA, Philippines --- Long before President Benigno S. Aquino III announced Monday that the Small Town Lottery (STL) will be scrapped for its failure to substitute and stop the outlawed operation of "jueteng," the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) had already intended to replace STL with another game called PCSO Loterya ng Bayan or "PLB."

This was revealed yesterday by PCSO General Manager Jose Ferdinand M. Rojas II as he considered how getting rid of STL will displace 95,000 workers.

But opposition Rep. Mitos Magsaysay is not convinced the PLB will eradicate jueteng, saying that there is little difference between the two systems of legal numbers game.

"It's the same dog with different collar. The concept is exactly the same, pinalitan lang ng pangalan, I am not sure it will resolve jueteng," she said.

The STL was supposed to be an experimental numbers games operation aimed at putting an end to jueteng.

But with some of its operators merely acting as jueteng lord dummies, many STL joints started operating as jueteng fronts.

At present there are still 19 STL firms operating in different provinces, with each operator having more or less 5,000 employees.

"That would easily translate to 95,000 people who would be displaced," said Rojas, adding that the PCSO is planning to stop all STL operations by 2013 and introduce PLB.

He said the remaining STL operators still have an active authority to operate, naming the areas where they operate as Bulacan, Tarlac, Pampanga, Nueva Ecija, Quezon, Laguna, Batangas, Iloilo City, Negros Oriental (Bacolod City), Olongapo, Zambales, Angeles City, Bataan, Isabela (Santiago City), and Ilocos Norte.

In February 2011, the PCSO announced the drafting of the implementing rules and regulations of the PLB, designed to replace STL, fight illegal numbers game, and increase government revenue.

On July 13, 2011, the PCSO said 230 gaming operators applied to run PLB, each paying P50,000 for processing fee.

"We are very hopeful (the PLB) will be come out very soon," said Rojas.

What is being done, he said, is the finalization or fine-tuning of the PLB's implementing rules and regulations (IRR) to make it more effective in fighting "jueteng" and other illegal numbers games.

He said coordination with Malacañang is continuing to refine PLB. "We are going over the PLB-IRR to make it even better," he said.

When the time to launch the new lottery comes, he said this will be done in areas where there are no STL operations, in case there still some of the former still active.

House leaders threw their all-out support for Aquino's move to pull the plug on STL, branding it as a "bold and decisive action."

Eastern Samar Rep. Ben Evardone, chairman of the House Committee on Public Information, took note of the President's anti-jueteng campaign, saying that STL only encouraged illegal numbers game.

"The decision of President Aquino to stop the Small Town Lottery is a bold and decisive action. STL is a mockery because instead of stopping illegal numbers game, particularly jueteng, it turned out to be an effective front of jueteng lords," he said in a text message.

He recalled that when he was still a governor, a group who claimed to be representing a jueteng lord offered him P10 million just to facilitate the approval of its STL application by the provincial board.

"Of course, I rejected the offer. I believe that STL is not an effective tool to stop all illegal numbers game," he said.

Jueteng Invading

Schools In CL

Retired Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Oscar Cruz, head of the Krusadang Bayan Laban sa Jueteng (KBLJ), said they received information that jueteng collectors are now present in at least four public schools in Central Luzon.

"The students are being wooed to bet their little allowance. I find this irritating," he said in a Church-organized forum in Manila.

Cruz said students, who are mostly in High School, could very well afford to place a bet on jueteng since the minimum bet is only between P10 to P20.

Aside from Central Luzon, the prelate said these jueteng collectors also managed to invade one public school in Metro Manila.

"I don't know the name of the school but it is also being frequented by jueteng collectors to get the money of students," said Cruz.

"Is this what they (administration) mean by straight path? I'm confused jueteng is exempted from this straight path?" asked the prelate.

The former head of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) said so far jueteng operations are doing very well in the country with collections amounting to millions daily.

"It's so hard to give an exact figure because the number of draw per day differs...but our ballpark figure is P45 to P55 million a day," Cruz said. (With reports from Ben R. Rosario, Leslie Ann G. Aquino, and Charissa M. Luci)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • 15 wounded in 2 explosions in restive southern Philippines

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — At least 15 people have been wounded in two separate blasts that hit a police camp in a restive southern Philippine province where Muslim militants operate, police said Saturday. …

  • 15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp
    15 wounded in mosque attack at Philippine police camp

    Fifteen people including 10 police officers were wounded in an attack on a mosque at police camp on a remote Philippine island long plagued by Islamic militancy, officials said on Saturday. Successive blasts targeted the mosque inside Camp Kasim on the island of Jolo early evening Friday -- an initial grenade attack followed by a bomb explosion less than 10 minutes later that was intended to target police who rushed to the scene, local authorities said. "It seems the (first) explosion was set …

  • US missile cruiser docks at Subic
    US missile cruiser docks at Subic

    A US Navy missile cruiser has dropped anchor in Subic Bay as part of “routine port call,” amid rising tension in the West Philippine Sea stirred by China’s island building activities and other threatening moves by its forces. The arrival of the Ticonderoga-class missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG-67) at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City yesterday was “just a routine port visit for ship replenishment and routine maintenance of shipboard system,” said Philippine Navy Public Affairs Office …

  • Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño
    Agri, power sectors should brace for El Niño

    The agriculture and power sectors, as well as the general public should brace for a prolonged El Niño phenomenon that could further reduce water supply for electricity and irrigation, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. Flaviana Hilario, acting deputy administrator for research and development of PAGASA, said the El Niño condition is expected to intensify from weak to moderate by August this year. Anthony Lucero, …

  • China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row
    China to US: Help cool down Phl on sea row

    The US should help “cool down” the Philippines and realize that its meddling in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) dispute would only stir tensions, a Chinese newspaper reported. “Washington should know its meddling in the South China Sea has been destabilizing the region. The US has vowed not to take sides in the territorial dispute, which involves China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. …

  • No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests
    No stopping K to 12 despite SC case, protests

    K to 12 is the fruit of years of comprehensive consultations involving different sectors in education,” Aquino said during the launching of the program at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City. Organized by the Department of Education (DepEd), the launch was attended by teachers, students and representatives from different stakeholders supportive of the K to 12 program. It was held two years after the signing of Republic Act 10533, or the Enhanced Basic Education …

  • MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t
    MNLF pushes review of peace pact with gov’t

    The Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) maintained its bid for completion of the tripartite review of the implementation of the peace agreement with the Philippine government in 1996. The MNLF’s desire to put consensual closure to the tripartite effort was relayed by its leaders to Sayed El-Masry, the special envoy of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), during the annual foreign ministers conference in Kuwait last Thursday. The MNLF peace agreement with the government in Sept. 2, …

  • Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe
    Noy to raise sea dispute issue with Abe

    President Aquino is expected to raise the West Philippine Sea dispute during his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Japan next week. However, there is no word yet if the Philippines will specifically ask Tokyo to join calls for China to stop its massive reclamation activities in disputed waters. Aquino will leave for Tokyo on June 2 for a state visit until June 5. …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options