PNoy: Show Compassion For Typhoon Victims

MANILA, Philippines --- With some typhoon-hit communities still out of reach, President Benigno S. Aquino III is calling on Filipinos to join the massive relief effort to show the victims that they are not alone in this difficult time.

At the 15th Philippine Quality Awards ceremony in Malacañang, the President appealed for charity, compassion, and bayanihan, particularly in the use of private helicopters and trucks to bring relief goods in the communities devastated by typhoon "Pablo" last week.

Although the government is working round the clock to hasten the disaster relief effort, Aquino admitted that they have struggled to bring in food and relief convoys in some areas due to roads blocked or swept away by floods and landslides.

"This is time when each of us has the moral obligation as fellow human beings to join in and display the compassion, the charity and the bayanihan inherent in every Filipino. There are still some isolated communities that we are having difficulty penetrating due to weather and due to the closure of various roads due to landslides," the President said in his speech.

"Thus, today I ask you: if you can extend any amount of help to those who have been affected, it would mean so much more. It is about more than money, it is about more than sharing resources. It is about showing that the Filipino people that they are not alone during this time of great pain - that their countrymen, their government, and even the companies that operate here have their back," he added.

Faced with problem of some areas cut off by damaged roads, the President asked private individuals and companies to lend their helicopters and trucks "so we can meet our transportation needs."

"So, if any of you here use choppers in your company operations, or if you know anyone willing to lend theirs, may I ask of you: Would you be willing to lend a helping hand? And we guarantee you: you will have a grateful Philippine people and nation," he said.

The President had earlier declared a state of national calamity to speed up rescue and relief missions in the aftermath of the deadly typhoon that killed over a 700 people and left hundreds more missing. Hungry and homeless survivors have reportedly begged for food amid stalled delivery of relief aid to isolated communities.

Aquino said the towns of New Bataan, Compostela Valley and Boston, Davao Oriental "really looked liked battlefields" when inspected the extent of the damage from the storm last week.

Although national government agencies were well prepared for the typhoon, the President acknowledged that even the best preparations won't be enough without the cooperation local government units.

"Looking forward, we will improve our synergy with local government; and we will guide them through the processes they have to go through to further minimize casualties in the future," he said.

The government also plans to improve disaster preparedness and management in areas that are not usually hit by storms, according to the President. He noted that one of the hardest-hit areas in Mindanao did not experience any severe storm since 1912.

Last Tuesday, the President announced the Department of Energy has promised to restore electricity in storm-hit Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental before the end of the year.

Relief assistance and interventions from foreign and local sectors continued to pour into areas devastated by typhoon "Pablo," which left at least 740 people dead and almost 900 still missing.

Among the latest group of donors were officials of the United Nations' World Food Program led by WFP Country Director Stephen Anderson and National Anti-Hunger Ambassador cum movie actress KC Concepcion, who distributed varied packs of relief goods.

Charlene Tordesillas, WFP media liaison officer, said Concepcion and Anderson immersed with the villagers of Barangay Cabinuangan of New Bataan, Compostela Valley suffered the brunt of last week's terrifying storm.

Yesterday, the Japanese government, through the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), extended relief goods worth 45 million yen (approximately P22 million) for typhoon victims. (With reports from Ali G. Macabalang, Roy C. Mabasa, Aaron B. Recuenco, and Ellalyn B. de Vera)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Philippines backs support for small enterprises at APEC meet

    MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The Philippines' top trade official on Saturday called for support for the integration of micro, small and medium enterprises in global trade, which he said would help reduce poverty and inequality in the Asia-Pacific region. …

  • US renews travel warning to Mindanao
    US renews travel warning to Mindanao

    The US State Department renewed its warning about the risks of travel to the Philippines, in particular to the Sulu archipelago, certain regions and cities of Mindanao and the southern Sulu Sea area. In an update on Wednesday of a travel warning it issued Nov. 20, 2014, the State Department said US citizens should continue to defer non-essential travel to the Sulu archipelago due to the high threat of kidnapping of international travelers and violence linked to insurgency and terrorism there. …

  • Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda
    Phl gains support for APEC Action Agenda

    The Philippine initiative to put the interests of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) front and center in global and regional trade has made significant progress following the conclusion on Thursday of the 2nd APEC Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM2) and Related Meetings in Boracay, Aklan. Called “The Boracay Action Agenda to Globalize MSMEs,” the Philippine proposal calls for a host of specific, concrete and practical interventions that APEC economies can implement to provide MSMEs wider …

  • Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week
    Phl to join Bangkok meet on Rohingya crisis next week

    The Philippines will join a 15-nation meeting in Bangkok, Thailand next week to address the migration crisis involving thousands of Rohingyas who escaped persecution in Myanmar and Bangladesh. Justice Secretary Leila de Lima bared this yesterday after meeting with United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) representative to the Philippines Bernard Kerblat. In an interview, De Lima said the Philippine government has been invited to the meeting. …

  • Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon
    Magnitude 4.2 quake jolts Sorsogon

    LEGAZPI CITY—A magnitude 4.2 earthquake hit Prieto Diaz town in Sorsogon before dawn yesterday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said. …

  • Drought-resistant rice breeds bared
    Drought-resistant rice breeds bared

    SCIENCE CITY OF MUÑOZ, Nueva Ecija – Amid the searing heat, the Philippine Rice Research Institute central experiment station here has identified nine rice breeds which have been proven to be drought-resistant and produce high yields in temperatures as high as 38°C based on a recent study. Thelma Padolina, lead researcher of the study titled “Screening of rice-induced mutants for heat and drought tolerance,” identified the breeding lines as the Ballatinaw lines, PSB Rc72H and Azucena lines. …

  • Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning
    Phl, US assert rights, ignore China warning

    The United States military will continue air and sea patrols in international waters even after the Chinese navy repeatedly warned a US surveillance plane to leave the airspace over artificial islands China is creating in the disputed South China Sea. The Philippine government also declared it would continue activities in the region, calling on China to respect freedom of navigation and aviation. “Our position on the importance of letting freedom of navigation, freedom of aviation and …

  • MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned
    MM shutdown eyed for quake drill; 6 schools warned

    Electricity and mobile phone services would be cut throughout Metro Manila, and all private and government offices and businesses, including shopping malls, would be closed. That would be the situation on July 16 between 3 and 8 p.m. to simulate the scenario of a 7.2 magnitude earthquake. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has warned that an earthquake of that magnitude could occur and kill at least 33,500 people and injure at least 113,600 others following a …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options