PNP: ‘Odette’ death toll rises to 208

·3 min read

OVER 200 people were killed during the onslaught of Typhoon Odette (Rai) in the Visayas and Mindanao, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said on Monday, December 20, 2021.

A consolidated report issued by the PNP headquarters showed that as of 6 a.m. of December 20, a total of 208 people were reported killed while 52 others were still missing.

Of the fatalities, 24 were from Western Visayas, 129 in Central Visayas, six in Eastern Visayas, one in Zamboanga, seven in Northern Mindanao and 41 in Caraga.

The PNP said 43 people went missing in Central Visayas following the typhoon, one in Eastern Visayas and eight in Caraga.

The report stated that the common cause of victims’ death was injuries brought about by a fallen tree or other heavy objects.

The PNP said 30,669 families or 103,111 individuals are now staying in 4,389 evacuation centers.

It said 71 areas remain flooded, 3,178 still have no electricity while 1,898 have no communication signal.

Nearly a hundred infrastructure were destroyed by the typhoon.

In a separate report, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said over 1.8 million people were affected by Odette.

NDRRMC spokesperson Mark Timbal said the most affected regions were Northeastern Mindanao, Western and Central Visayas and Palawan.

He said based on initial assessment, Typhoon Odette left 20,102 houses totally wrecked, while 34,681 were damaged.

He said the government has already spent P14.5 million to provide assistance to the affected population.

Over the weekend, President Rodrigo Duterte visited the typhoon-hit areas, particularly the province of Siargao, Dinagat Islands, Maasin City in Southern Leyte, Cebu and Bohol, and assured the provision of assistance to the affected families.

Duterte also enjoined all government forces, including the PNP, Armed Forces of the Philippines, Coast Guard and other frontliners, for the conduct of rescue and recovery operations, especially in ensuring the distribution of relief goods to the affected people.

Presidential ship BRP Ang Pangulo has been repurposed by the Philippine Navy into a 10-bed floating hospital for the provision of medical attention. It is currently docked in Siargao Island.

94 dead in Bohol

The number of people in Bohol province, Central Visayas who died in the onslaught of Typhoon Odette rose to 94 Monday, after 22 more fatalities were added to the 72 deaths reported on Sunday by Bohol Gov. Arthur Yap on his official Facebook page.

The 94 deaths reported Monday came because all of the province’s 48 local government units (LGUs) had submitted their reports to the Office of the Governor.

Among the 48 LGUs, the town of Ubay recorded the most deaths at 12. It is followed by the towns of Talibon, eight; Bien Unido, seven; Loon and San Miguel with six each; and Pres. Carlos P. Garcia, five.

The towns of Inabanga, Catigbian, Buenavista, Guindulman and Alicia recorded three deaths each.

Two deaths were recorded in each of the towns of Maribojoc, Jagna, Valencia, Mabini, Pilar and Candijay.

One death was recorded in each of the towns of Panglao, Batuan, Dagohoy, Loboc, Clarin and Sagbayan.

Pope’s hope

Pope Francis expressed his sympathies to the Filipinos affected by Typhoon Odette.

“I express my closeness to the population of the Philippines, struck by a strong typhoon that has caused many deaths and destroyed so many homes.” he said via his official Twitter account @Pontifex on Sunday, December 19.

“May the ‘Santo Niño’ bring consolation and hope to the families of those most affected,” the Pope added.

Odette was the strongest storm to hit the Philippines in 2021 so far.

The typhoon, at its strongest, packed sustained winds of 195 kilometers per hour (kph) and gusts of up to 270 kph. (TPM / SunStar Philippines / IRT, KAL)

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting