Police arrest ex-con tied to Cebu ambush

CEBU CITY – Police shot and arrested early Sunday morning the alleged hitman in the fatal ambush of a lawyer’s wife and her two companions in Barangay Lawaan III, Talisay City.

Ex-convict Tommy Echavez, 39, was hit in his left cheek during a brief gunfight.

Operatives of the Talisay City Police Station were acting on a tip that the suspect was spotted in Sitio Cadicay at 8:32 a.m. He was reportedly visiting a friend who had recently arrived from abroad.

Senior Police Officer 1 Mikie Espina told Sun.Star Cebu that Echavez was outside the wooden house, armed with a gun, when the police arrived.

The suspect went back inside, which prompted the police to look for a vantage point. When Echavez noticed them, he allegedly opened fire but missed.

Foiled

A gunshot rang out again after Espina returned fire and grazed the suspect’s body.

Echavez fired at the policemen again then tried to flee by breaking and jumping out of a window.

Police Officer 3 Ferdinand Pablo, however, caught up with him.

A shot sent Echavez to the ground, and he was rushed to the Talisay City District Hospital. He was later transferred and is now under hospital arrest in the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center in Cebu City.

His arrest Sunday stemmed from a warrant for unlawful possession of firearms, for which Echavez was first arrested in November last year.

Regional Trial Court branch 10 Judge Soliver Peras issued the warrant last February 3, after Echavez failed to show up in court. He had previously posted a bond.

Confiscated from his possession were a .45 pistol with three chamber-ready live ammunitions, a hand grenade, two cellular phones and a wallet.

Identified

Two empty shells fired from .45 pistols were recovered in the crime scene.

Echavez was tagged as the unmasked motorcycle-riding assailant of Virginia Sesbreño, the wife of lawyer Raul Sesbreño, by witnesses.

Last February 1, two men on a motorcycle peppered Virginia’s vehicle with bullets when their pickup stopped for a red light at the junction of Rabayan St. and the Cebu South Coastal Road in Barangay Cansojong, Talisay City.

Her death, along with that of 30-year-old Joshua Young and 51-year-old Soledad Epanto, were believed to be linked to a land dispute and demolition in Barangay Lawaan.

“We are now going after the mastermind or the principal by direct inducement,” said Talisay City Police Station Chief Eddie Recamara, after Echavez’s arrest.

A cross-matching examination will be conducted on the recovered items to find out if the firearm seized from Echavez was the same one used in the ambush.

Complaints

The cellular phones will also be examined.

Criminal complaints for multiple murder will be filed against Echavez and his cohort-driver today, Monday, in the Talisay City Prosecutor’s Office.

The news about the arrest elated Peter Lim Sesbreño, the victim’s son.

“Nagpakita lang gyud nga gibuhat sa polis ilang trabaho. Hinay-hinay na nga mahatagan ug hustisya akong mama (This shows the police are doing their jobs. Little by the little, justice will be delivered for my mother),” he said in a phone interview.

He said they will also give the P50,000 reward to whoever assisted in the suspect’s arrest.

Meanwhile, the suspect’s live-in partner, Ma. Michelle Villordon, lashed out at police officers upon their arrival at the hospital, asking why they had to shoot Echavez.

Villordon, in an interview, said they only went back to Echavez’s hometown to attend the annual fiesta and for the baptism of their three-month-old baby. They live in Minglanilla.

No money

She couldn’t believe Echavez was accused of being a hitman.

“Wala man gane na siya’y ikahatag namo? Naa ‘ta na siya’y kwarta daghan (He can barely support us. If he was truly a hitman, he would have lots of money),” Villordon said.

They have three children.

Echavez’s mother Patricia, on the other hand, reportedly suffered a heart attack while tending to her son inside the emergency room.

A nephew of lawyer Raul Sesbreño visited the hospital and reportedly spoke with the suspect’s mother about the threat he received from Echavez.

The man, who requested not to be named for security reasons, told Sun.Star Cebu they received a report Echavez was an ex-New People’s Army member.

“Dili na siya ordinaryo ra nga gun-for-hire. Daghan na kayo ng gi-igo (He is no ordinary hired gun),” he added.

He is now being watched by the police, while in hospital confinement. (Sun.Star Cebu)

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • High spirits battle: Asia tycoons vie for cognac maker Louis Royer

    * Louis Royer valued at about $150 mln - sources * Suntory selling cognac maker as part of portfolio reshuffle * Asia cognac demand seen rising 13 pct in 2015-19 -Euromonitor (Adds graphic link) By Denny Thomas and Khettiya Jittapong HONG KONG/BANGKOK, May 30 (Reuters) - Thai billionaire Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi is considering buying cognac maker Louis Royer, people familiar with the matter said, potentially locking horns with a Philippine tycoon for the French firm amid a forecast …

  • OIC asked to complete review of peace pact with MNLF
    OIC asked to complete review of peace pact with MNLF

    The Philippine government is asking the 57-nation Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to finally complete the tripartite review process of the implementation of the 1996 peace agreement with the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF). The review – snagged  for several years as government had its hands full with the peace process with rival faction Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) – tackles how the 1996 peace pact with the MNLF has been implemented and centers on the three remaining …

  • Alleged Binay dummies appear in Senate probe
    Alleged Binay dummies appear in Senate probe

    Eight of the resource persons ordered arrested by the Senate finally attended the 21st public hearing of the Senate Blue Ribbon subcommittee into the alleged anomalies involving Vice President Jejomar Binay, but the proceedings turned out to be a review of matters previously presented. For over three hours, the subcommittee heard presentations regarding the alleged hidden assets of Binay and the issue regarding the supposed P200 million in kickbacks he received from a deal between the Boy …

  • DOJ wraps up Mamasapano probe
    DOJ wraps up Mamasapano probe

    The Department of Justice (DOJ) is wrapping up its investigation into the “massacre” of 44 members of the Philippine National Police Special Action Force (PNP-SAF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Jan. 25. A joint team of prosecutors and NBI (National Bureau of Investigation) investigators is about to finish the second part,” Justice Secretary Leila de Lima has told congressmen. She was responding to questions raised by former senior police officer and now Rep. Samuel Pagdilao of party-list …

  • APEC meet in Bataan seen to boost tourism
    APEC meet in Bataan seen to boost tourism

    BALANGA CITY, Bataan – More than 2,000 delegates of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) and international media outfits are expected to enjoy the splendid coastline of Bagac town, which faces the West Philippine Sea, as they converge for a workshop in this province next month. …

  • DOST opens P54-M research facility
    DOST opens P54-M research facility

    A P54-million research and development facility of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) was recently opened in Bicutan, Taguig for scientists and researchers to develop technology and techniques to allow Filipino fashion and clothing designers and manufacturers to produce more mainstream products from local, tropical fabrics like piña, banana and abaca. Science Secretary Mario Montejo said the Innovation Center for Yarns and Textiles (ICYT) is the DOST’s flagship effort at reviving …

  • DFA worried about alleged violations of convicted Pinoys’ rights
    DFA worried about alleged violations of convicted Pinoys’ rights

    Philippine embassy officials in Doha have raised their concern with Qatari authorities over coercion and human rights violations in the alleged forcing of three Filipino workers convicted of spying to provide information and confess to the crime. Speaking to reporters, Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) spokesman Charles Jose yesterday said the embassy has raised the matter during several high-level meetings with Qatari officials and the national human rights committee in Qatar. “Our embassy …

  • US affirms ‘ironclad’ promise to defend Phl
    US affirms ‘ironclad’ promise to defend Phl

    US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter told his Philippine counterpart on Wednesday that Washington’s pledge to defend the Pacific nation remains “ironclad” and called for an end to land reclamation in the South China Sea, officials said. In talks in Hawaii with Voltaire Gazmin, Philippine secretary of national defense, the Pentagon chief “reaffirmed” the strong ties between the two countries and discussed territorial disputes in the contested waters of the South China Sea, where Beijing has been …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options