Police eye business as motive for killing of Ruben Feliciano

·2 min read

POLICE are looking into the business dealings of entrepreneur and former San Fernando, Cebu mayoral candidate Ruben Feliciano as a possible motive for his murder on Friday night, Jan. 1, 2021.

Feliciano, along with his 30-year-old nephew and driver Ken, were gunned down by unidentified men on board a white van in front of their rented apartment at the Blue Garden Residence in Barangay Apas, Cebu City.

Capt. Francis Renz Talosig, Mabolo Police Station chief, told Superbalita Cebu that the shooting occurred around 6 p.m.

Talosig said Feliciano’s nephew had just parked their car and the two were alighting from the vehicle when they were shot several times.

Feliciano died on the spot while his nephew was rushed to a private hospital in Cebu City with a gunshot wound in the stomach.

Recovered from the crime scene were five empty shells, seven live bullets and three deformed slugs from a .45 pistol.

One of the witnesses told police that they initially thought the gunshots were firecracker explosions. It was only when they checked outside that they saw the bodies of Feliciano and Ken sprawled on the ground. There was no sign of the assailants.

Feliciano reportedly moved in to one of the apartment units in September. However, he left and didn’t return until December.

Talosig said they are investigating Feliciano’s current business dealings after receiving word that he had altercations with some of his business partners.

Police discounted politics as a motive, even though Feliciano was linked to several murders during the election period when he ran for mayor in the southern town of San Fernando.

“We have discounted the political angle since he lost in that election,” Talosig said in Cebuano.

Talosig said they plan to talk to Feliciano’s family to determine if he had received any death threats lately.

He also ordered his personnel to check security cameras in the area as footage might help them identify the perpetrators.

MSgt. Nicolo Gonzales, who is leading the investigation on Feliciano’s murder, said he was able to speak to the businessman’s nephew.

Gonzales said Ken couldn’t say if his uncle had received any threats since he only started working with Feliciano in November.

According to the police officer, Ken said his uncle had other business ventures aside from developing ports.

SunStar Cebu tried to contact Mayor Reluya for her comment, to no avail. (WBS, BBT / JKV)