The Premier Volleyball League (PVL) is now in talks with several potential television partners after the demise of ABS-CBN Sports and Action.
ABS-CBN Sports and Action was the PVL’s home for the last four years. However, the channel was shut down after congress denied ABS-CBN’s application for a new franchise more than a week ago. As a matter of fact, the TV network has already announced it was scrapping its sports arm, ABS-CBN Sports effective on August 31, 2020.
Sports Vision president Ricky Palou said this leaves the league with no other choice but to look for another network.
“This gives us no other option but to look for another network to cover our games. We are in the process of doing that,” said Palou during the Power & Play with Noli Eala webcast.
Palou said the process would also involve a consultation with the executives of the member teams.
“We’re also consulting the teams on what they think about this and if they have any preference on who’s going to be our coverer. When we finalize all these details we’ll talk to the different networks and see who’s willing to cover our games. That’s as far as what we’ve got so far. We’ve made contacts with some of the networks but nothing is definite yet,” Palou shared.
Palou added that he is optimistic that the Inter-Agency Task Force would also allow the PVL’s teams to return to practice as the league hopes to have its fourth season later this year.
“We’re hoping the IATF will allow this and I think we have to work through the Philippine Sports Commission to get this approval,” Palou said. (JNP)