Probe to start tearing down illegal STL stalls on May 17

·1 min read

THE Prevention, Restoration, Order, Beautification and Enhancement (Probe) team will soon include in their clearing operations stalls of illegal small-time lottery (STL) operators in Cebu City.

Probe Chief Raquel Arce said the crackdown will start on Monday, May 17, 2021.

The Probe team has been conducting clearing operations to free roads and sidewalks of any obstructions as mandated by the Department of the Interior and Local Government.

Arce said Probe personnel will not make any exception.

“Sa mga operators, trabaho lang. Walang personalan (To all the operators, we’re just doing our job, Nothing personal),” Arce said.

Mayor Edgardo Labella earlier issued a memorandum to the Probe and the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) to go after illegal STL operation.

In a press conference on Friday, May 14, Labella said the City will include in the investigation STL stalls in private properties.

The mayor said STL outlets found in private lots will be issued show-cause orders since the City cannot demolish structures in private properties.

Last week, Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) General Manager Royina Garma met with Labella and discussed the proliferation of illegal STLs in Cebu City.

According to the former CCPO director, PCSO is losing P12 million a day to illegal STLs in the cities of Cebu and Mandaue. (JJL)