Amla, Kallis put Proteas on top in Aussie test

Hashim Amla and Jacques Kallis became South Africa's greatest scoring partnership as the Proteas dominated Australia's bowlers to seize control on day one of the first Brisbane Test on Friday.

The pair rammed home the advantage with an unbeaten century stand as the world's best team blunted the Australian attack to have the South Africans in command after winning the toss.

When bad light stopped play eight overs before scheduled stumps, South Africa were 255 for two with Amla unbeaten on 90 and Kallis providing solid support on 84.

Kallis previously held his country's aggregate record with current coach Gary Kirsten at 3592 runs in partnerships throughout 64 Tests, and has now surpassed that with Amla following their 136-run partnership for the third wicket.

At day's end, the pair had accumulated 3607 runs together in their 58th Test while Amla, the number one-ranked Test batsman, passed 5,000 Test runs.

South Africa reached their position of strength through resolute batting on a flattening wicket, mixed with some missed Australian chances and the rub of the green.

It was a strong statement of intent by the South Africans in their bid to follow up their first-ever series win in Australia on their last tour, in 2008-09.

"We wanted to really put our peg in the ground and I think we did that really well," opening batsman Alviro Petersen said.

"Two wickets down, we're in a comfortable position but tomorrow's going to be really important, to back that up and make sure today's work doesn't go to waste."

Kallis had a reprieve on 42 in the over after tea when he miscued Peter Siddle to mid-off where he was safely held by Nathan Lyon, but umpire Asaf Raud checked back whether Siddle had over-stepped.

Replays showed Siddle's heel on the line and the TV umpire ruled a no-ball for Kallis to stay at the crease -- much to Australia's anguish.

Siddle added to Australia's frustrations when he put down a caught and bowl chance six overs later when Amla was on 74 and South Africa at 206 for two.

Skipper Graeme Smith was out following a review in the 11th over after umpire Billy Bowden initially turned down James Pattinson's lbw appeal.

Television replays clearly showed the ball hitting Smith's back pad in front of the wicket and he was given out, with Pattinson enthusiastically celebrating the verdict.

Petersen had a controversial let-off when he appeared out lbw to a Ben Hilfenhaus inswinging yorker when on 51.

The Australians went for their third referral but the TV umpire ruled "umpire's call" despite replays showing the ball first hitting Petersen's leading foot and projected by Hawkeye technology to be heading for middle and off-stump.

It left Australia without access to further reviews for the rest of the South African innings.

But Petersen threw away his wicket on 64 when he hit Nathan Lyon straight to Michael Hussey at mid-on in the 39th over.

He angrily swooshed his bat in the air having passed up a good chance of his fifth century after spending 168 minutes at the crease.

Michael Clarke used six bowlers -- even the modest medium pace of debutant Rob Quiney -- in a bid to winkle a breakthrough, but it was a day the Australians were wanting to put behind them as they bid to stay unbeaten at the Gabba ground for 24 years.

"You can make excuses, but we probably lacked a bit of penetration and a bit of consistency and our maiden count was the big thing," paceman Pattinson said.

"When it's not playing as much as you would like, you probably want to dry up the runs a bit as we probably didn't do that."

Australia earlier left out paceman Mitchell Starc and went with the spin of Lyon while the Proteas gave Rory Kleinveldt his Test debut in a four-strong pace attack.

Loading...

Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.

  • Chinese actions 'may undermine peace' in S. China Sea: ASEAN
    Chinese actions 'may undermine peace' in S. China Sea: ASEAN

    Chinese island-building efforts "may undermine peace, security and stability" in the disputed South China Sea, said a statement by Southeast Asian leaders meeting for a summit on Monday. The statement, yet to be publicly released, was prepared on behalf of leaders of the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) gathering in Malaysia for an annual meeting. "We share the serious concerns expressed by some leaders on the land reclamation being undertaken in the South China Sea, …

  • Halt Indonesia drug executions until graft claims probed: Australia
    Halt Indonesia drug executions until graft claims probed: Australia

    Australia on Monday urged Indonesia to ensure all legal processes have been cleared of corruption before executing two of its nationals as bribery allegations surfaced regarding their drug smuggling trial. Foreign Minister Julie Bishop spoke to her Indonesian counterpart Retno Marsudi on Sunday evening while Prime Minister Tony Abbott has written to President Joko Widodo to again plead for the executions to be halted. "Bali Nine" drug traffickers Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan could face …

  • Pagasa: Drought may worsen
    Pagasa: Drought may worsen

    The drought in 12 already dry areas in the country is expected to worsen as the summer season peaks next month, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) warned yesterday. In an advisory, PAGASA said the provinces of Albay, Bataan, Batangas, Biliran, Cavite, Cebu, Ilocos Norte, Leyte, Misamis Occidental, Pampanga, Zamboanga del Norte and Zamboanga del Sur will continue to receive “way below” or “below normal” rainfall in May. PAGASA defines …

  • Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea
    Maximum restraint for Phl troops in West Phl Sea

    The military has advised its pilots conducting surveillance in the West Philippine Sea to exercise maximum restraint even if they are being bullied by Chinese troops. Armed Forces spokesman Brig. Gen. Joselito Kakilala said all actions of the pilots should be consistent with the declaration of conduct signed by claimant countries. Armed Forces public affairs chief Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said the Philippines should remain on moral high ground when it comes to the territorial dispute. A …

  • MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami
    MMDA simulates rescue march after quake, tsunami

    The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) yesterday led the annual rescue march from Quezon City to Manila, giving rescue volunteers a glimpse of possible scenarios if the metropolis is hit by a strong quake or is inundated by a tsunami. Cora Jimenez, MMDA general manager, said 700 volunteer rescuers walked from the Quezon City memorial circle to the Bonifacio monument in front of the Manila city hall to simulate a response-exercise to a magnitude 7.2 earthquake. Renato Solidum, …

  • Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean
    Islamic State threatens Mindanao, Phl tells Asean

    Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario bared yesterday before the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) reports of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) threat to the Philippines through the Black Flag Movement in Mindanao. Speaking before ASEAN foreign ministers, Del Rosario said the ISIS threat to Philippine security is real rather than imagined because of the Black Flag Movement’s pledge of allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. …

  • ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’
    ‘Chinese reclamation affecting Phl’s energy security bid’

    China’s occupation and buildup of its military structures in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea is causing the country’s top energy official to get the jitters as the encroachment is seen as a huge dent on the Philippines’ efforts to achieve energy security. “It is a concern but if we don’t bring it to the United Nations, where will we bring it? We cannot bang heads with them,” Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla told The STAR in an interview over the weekend. The US Energy …

  • Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control
    Phl to Asean: China getting de facto control

    The Philippines yesterday urged the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to unite and stop China’s massive reclamation in disputed waters as it will give China “de facto control” over the area and cause $100 million in marine wealth losses annually. At the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting here, Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario told his counterparts that the situation in West Philippine Sea had worsened just a year after the Philippines began to draw international …

POLL

Should Aquino be held accountable over the Mamasapano operations?

Loading...
Poll Choice Options